Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 2733 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Salt
« on: February 27, 2005, 02:16:02 pm »
I was taking to a older gentleman the other day, he told me something that I never heard before, here goes.

He said he use to keep about 20 hives about 30 years ago and he put a small pill of salt on the landing boards and the bee's would use it, he said that the bee's would put the salt on pested like moth larve and other pest, I started laughing and he said "What the hell you laughing about,I'm serious". anybody ever heard of this? man I almost got my ears blistered by a old fart! he a good fellow and a dear friend , just thought i would check it out.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Salt
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 03:15:18 pm »
Great question - I never heard of this either, but it is very interesting.

I know if I were on FEAR FACTOR, I'd have trouble eating any of that crap without my saltshaker  :shock:

Great question.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 06:38:27 pm »
I have heard of putting salt out for them.  I had not heard about them using them to kill wax moth larvae.  I've never tried it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:46:11 pm »
But won't it raise their blood pressure?   :lol:

We have a County Beekeeping meeting in a few weeks,  I'll mention it to
the "old farts" here, and see what they say.  There are about 50 old farts and about 10 of us less than old farts - so that means there will be about 100 opinions  on it!
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Anonymous

Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:17:05 am »
:)  Funny this question came up. At our last beemeeting  one of our older members gave a talk on some of the things to do for different reasons.
 Salt: was to be put in the water dish for them to use in ridding the hive of some pest.Cinimmon: placed on the landing board and intercover to keep ants at a distance.
Bleach & vingar in the syurp to stop mold.  

:D Al

anything