Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut Out & Swarm---August 27, 2009  (Read 3949 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Cut Out & Swarm---August 27, 2009
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:28 am »
Cut out between floors, lots of honey, lots of bees, nice bees, got queen the following evening. Small swarm caught on jasmine & chain link fence.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/August272009#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Cut Out & Swarm---August 27, 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:40:50 pm »
JP wonderful pics as usual!  I love the one with the "glowing" bees!  Took a minute to see it was a bee with the flash..looked like tinkerbell there at first glance!  Keep it up!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
Gosh, you still get swarms out there? Do they have time to build up??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:59:22 pm »
Gosh, you still get swarms out there? Do they have time to build up??

Last year I caught a late swarm I believe in November, I'll have to check. They all have to be fed but even on our coldest of days it'll warm up in the middle of the day.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »
JP, how do you hang that curved comb in your frames?  It always causes problems for me. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:19 pm »
JP, how do you hang that curved comb in your frames?  It always causes problems for me. 

You can deform comb sections to fit a frame if you need to. The bees will repair it to their liking.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:02 am »
JP, again, such interesting pictures, I still love the queen cage thingy that you use.  You doin' any swarm retrievals this time of year now?  In the prior post you said you got one in November, you thought, did you check it out to see if that was accurate?  For how long during the year do you stop swarm catching.  I bet you are into your winter down and laying low time soon, smiling.  I know that you do take a break, that is in the cobwebs of my mind.  Have that great and most awesomely wonderful day, health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:14:04 am »
JP, again, such interesting pictures, I still love the queen cage thingy that you use.  You doin' any swarm retrievals this time of year now?  In the prior post you said you got one in November, you thought, did you check it out to see if that was accurate?  For how long during the year do you stop swarm catching.  I bet you are into your winter down and laying low time soon, smiling.  I know that you do take a break, that is in the cobwebs of my mind.  Have that great and most awesomely wonderful day, health, Cindi

Cindi, we have had a few days near 90F and most days in the upper 80's the last several weeks.

I just checked about that November swarm last year and I was incorrect. It was caught on October 3, of 2008.

I'm still doing removals Cindi. Not everyone can wait until spring. Our winters really don't start throwing fronts until November, but we have had 80 degree days in December and even our coldest nights rarely go below the freezing mark and on those rare days, it may even warm up into the 70's the following day once the sun warms things up.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 11:56:54 am »
JP, beautiful, a land of warmth and sunshine, conjures up a very beautiful picture in my mind's eye, somewhere I would want to visit, one fine day, and that day may one day come....smiling.  have that incredibly wonderful and awesome day, living in great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »
Well, if you ever did make it down this way, you, Ken, my wife and I would have a blast!

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 10:45:28 am »
JP, yep, yep, yep, you know that thing!!!  Have that great, most wonderful and awesome day, cool, health.  Cindi