Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time For Paint To Dry  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Time For Paint To Dry
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »
So I have a fair amount of poly hives assembled and painted inside and out.  This coming Sunday is going to be in the upper 50s nearing 60.  First warm day of its kind around here.  I have a nuc that's over wintered and would like to transfer them from their wood nuc and into the poly nuc.  So my question is, how long should the paint need to be sitting before the boxes can be used? 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Time For Paint To Dry
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »
15 to 20 minutes for water based paint. In other words, until dry to the touch. I paint occupied hives in late evening.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Time For Paint To Dry
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:14:59 pm »
Primer dries very fast on poly (and wood).  I usually go with 2 top coats of latex on top of primer.  Beware of “blocking” issues with latex paint; especially on foam.  You’ll get a REAL mess if latex touches latex on foam hives; speaking from experience here :(  For example if you want to paint mating surfaces, you best use oil based enamel to avoid the blocking problems inherent in all latex paint.  I don’t paint mating surfaces.  Latex coats dry within a couple of hours, enamel takes a day.  

One of my biggest frustrations with homemade foam hives are the darn ants.  They love to live inside the foam if there is an easy way for them to tunnel in.  A good paint job goes a long way to help keep them out too.  They prefer to tunnel in through bare foam.