Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package or Nuc  (Read 3557 times)

Offline csalt

• New Bee
Package or Nuc
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:24:32 pm »
Hey all, just joined this great resource and have a couple of questions. I just about finished my hive and will be picking up my bees soon which leads to my first question. The guy i'm getting the bees from said feb would be a good time to get them, i'm worried a new hive would not survive the cold. This will be my first hive. What do you guys think? The second question is should i go with a package or a nuc?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Package or Nuc
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:33:21 pm »
Not many are fooling with bees right now, wayyy too cold, but it will pass. If given a choice, a nuc over a package every time.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:46:39 pm »
I don't know your climate, so I couldn't say when is the best time, but my packages get here in April, and I'm sure it colder here.

As far as nucs or packages, if you can get a nuc on the size frame and the kind of comb (small cell, natural or whatever) that you want, and you can get the nuc from a reputable dealer, I'd get the nuc.  If not, I'd get the package...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline csalt

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:07:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, sound like i'll be going with a nuc, three frame for 61.00. I'm about the same latittude as Orlando just west on the gulf coast. It's been abnormaly cold like other areas have been but normaly Feb temps average in the 50's daytime. Not sure of the humidity levels.

Offline Brooklyn

• House Bee
    • Quality Pet Food Online
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »
Keep looking around that price seems High to me.

I have places in my area selling for 65 to 75 for 5 and 6 frame

Make sure you check them out before you buy.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:10 pm »

I'm going with packaged bees.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »
If you don't have any drawn comb to give them, and nucs are an option then they should sure get rolling a lot quicker than a package installed in an empty hive - even if it was the same number of bees.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:01:25 pm »
Your location should be good to pick up Feb.  I think you could find a better price I would look around and go with a nuc thats a gong small hive.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
For that price you should get four frames of bees, five would be even better.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline csalt

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, i will look around a little more and see if i can find a better price.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:49:53 pm »
Everyone like nucs because they speed things up, advertisements on 5 frame nucs a few hours drive away were $160.00 with a frame exchange and bring your own box. The few I called weren't sure what they were going to do,  So I stopped looking.

For a 3 pound package with a new cage, $75.00 is the cheapest I found around here as far as advertisements go. Personally, I don't mind waiting for bees to settle in. Not many will like this next sentence but Be sure you're not buying someone else's problems with a nuc. Check them out closely if you can.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »
WD where are you -we get (cali) better prices than that way better  :lol: RDY-B
are you talking about shiped to your door for just one  :?

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:12 pm »
WD where are you -we get (cali) better prices than that way better  :lol: RDY-B
are you talking about shiped to your door for just one  :?

I'd pick them up myself. I'm in Chico, there are several commercial outfits with-in a 5 hour drive. Wasn't sure how many then and still not sure. Prices are based on numbers. What I have in mind is to purchase ten packages maybe more but at least two, get a two from here two from there etc.

When I called and looked, 2010 prices weren't solid yet. The nuc price mentioned was a website price from Marin / Sonoma county area. Last time, I paid $35.00 each for 3 pound package with a new cage, young queen and cage and a feed can.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 01:15:11 am »
WD    the price for three pounds is $55 -they are in glenn-about 40 minutes from chico -that area is a big bee area you can even get them from dadant -they have a location in chico -dont worry about the age of the cage - it dosent matter to the bees  8-)
nuc will go from $75-$90 depends where and when if you need names and numbers let me know -they are plentiful in your area  8-) RDY-B
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:35:30 am by rdy-b »

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:56 am »

going with packages. didn't ask dadant this time, helps to talk with people sometimes, if they'll use them, I do have used cages in storage.

much better :) thanks!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 02:17:31 am »
try this guy he is in biggs very close http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234971
tese are where i get my queen cells they will do you right http://www.koehnen.com/
RDY-B 8-)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 02:39:44 pm »
try this guy he is in biggs very close http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234971
these are where i get my queen cells they will do you right http://www.koehnen.com/
RDY-B 8-)

RDY-B ... wanted to say Thank you ! ...

Juan and I have spoke over the phone. I'll be trying nucs this season from the beesource.com user name tinicobee. I don't mind packaged bees at all - however, I am aware that they ought to be introduced into drawn comb to speed up their process.

Thought I'd mention and not that its an issue - I called Olivarez Honey Bees  and they wouldn't take my used cages.