Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FLASH -Bees Attack Hornet!  (Read 4635 times)

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
FLASH -Bees Attack Hornet!
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:58:48 pm »
I thought it was amazing - it was a program last night on the Japanese hornet.  first they showed the attack of the "hornets from hell" where 12 hornets decimated an entire hive by snipping the heads off of bees.  (here in
SC, I found a pile of bee heads/thoraxes at the foot of the landing board)

Then, they showed the bees revenge...setting: another healthy hive.  A hornet scout sneaks in to assess the hive for attack, and to mark it with pheremone to tell other other hornets this is the target hive.  The bees slowely surround the hornet and WASHBOARD!  In an instant, the bees tackle the hornet and....

VIBRATE!  (I think we call it "balling a queen"  They showed the event with a thermal camera...the heart of the ball was white hot...the way the narroator explained it, the hornet can only stand 115 degrees, while the bees canstand 118....the hornet is roasted!

you can tell I'm exited about this, your thoughts?

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 11:54:28 pm »
c'mon people!  15 views in 5 minutes and no one has anything to say?  this is amazing!  it contains: washboarding; balling; a vibration dance;and retribution on a hornet!  perhaps I am easily excited?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:04:26 am »
Well ummmm... I didn't see it,

Oh and i never get excited, sorry :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:15:27 am »
well, Ford guy I think that is amazing, especially if I had seen it, I abhor hornets, I have been stung too many times to count, over the yrs by hornets, so I'm glad to see someone else win for a change.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 10:16:46 am »
Since I have dialup and since I'm lucky, with the switching the phone company provides, to get a 24K connection and sometimes it's as slow as a 14K connection, I NEVER try to look at videos.  I don't have that much free time.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 11:30:36 am »
It is amazing it's a nation geographic show and they are Japanese giant Hornets, And it's the Japanese bees that can kill them like that, imported bees get decimated. But Japanese bees are not very efficient hoeny producers
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 01:33:52 pm »
Ford Guy, I've seen this program several times on the Nat Geo channel. I am amazed everytime I see it. My favorite part is the slow-motion video. I've been trying to tape that darned special but I always walk in on it halfway through...! I wonder if I can by it somewhere. Amazing show.

As a side note, those are Japanese honeybees that use  that defense against the hornet in the video...

peace
wombat
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 01:34:23 pm »
oh, someone just said that. oops!
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 12:25:38 pm »
heres a new study on how the bee's kill the giant hornet with heat called Balling,,,,,

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050924/fob5.asp
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 12:50:21 pm »
I saw this about bees balling the hornet on the animal planet channel I believe it was. They showed animals and insects that attack and then the defences some had against the attacks. Seems the native bees of Japan had guards that watched for the scouting hornet. They would lure the hornet into the hive then ball her. The hornet can not survive temps over 115F while the bees can last upto something like 122f I think it was. They heat the ball up to around 117f the scouting hornet dies and never gets back to the nest to inform the others where the colonie of bees are.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline gsferg

• House Bee
    • http://www.sweettimeapiary.com
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15:48 am »
Not the same calibre of defense, but here's a picture of 3 of my bees dealing with a yellow jacket. They hauled it out of the hive entrance, dragged it kicking (and presumably screaming) across the landing board while repeatedly stinging it, then tossed it's twitching carcass over the edge. It was beautiful. I was so proud :)

http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/pics/kicking_wasp_butt.jpg
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 10:25:52 am »
hehehehe,,,,,,, good post gsferg!!!!!!!! that poor ole yellow jacket, them bee's ganged up on him, I bet he was thinking (them chicken bee's, I would have taking them 1vs1...... bahahahahahaha!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 05:57:06 pm »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 06:13:22 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
Since I have dialup and since I'm lucky, with the switching the phone company provides, to get a 24K connection and sometimes it's as slow as a 14K connection, I NEVER try to look at videos.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.  I'm stuck out here in the boonies with no cable and no DSL.  I guess I should consider myself lucky.  On a good day I can connect at 26K :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 07:06:23 pm »
I'm just remembering back at 2400 baud connection through Compuserve or Prodigy and a whopping 9600 baud at a premium of $9.95 an hour . Imagine what 1 gig shareware demos would have set you back if computers could actually handle to content once downloaded.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.