Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screen size for screened bottom boards  (Read 2697 times)

Offline inga

• New Bee
Screen size for screened bottom boards
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:55:46 am »
In rummaging around I found a little screening with 1/8" holes, and I assume that's #8 screening, which is supposed to be good for screened bottom boards, if I understand correctly.

I also found a lot more screening with 3/16" holes. The wire is, of course, also thicker. What would be the effect if I used this for screened bottom boards?

I assume the bees could walk on it just fine. The mites could still fall through the holes, but the thicker wire might allow them to stay on the screen ... which isn't good.

Does anyone have any experience with this coarser wire mesh in a screened bottom board?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Screen size for screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:34:39 am »
All of mine are #8 (1/8").  Brushy Mt and, as fas as I know, everyone's except Betterbee are #8.  Betterbee has #6 bottom boards.  But a bee can get through #6 and some have complained of bees getting stuck trying to get in and out the bottom.

3/16"?  I'd assume that'd be #5 (1/5").  Bees easily get through #5 but lose some of their pollen.  It's usually used to make pollen traps or queen confinement cages for queen rearing, where the queen can't get out but the workers can get in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin