Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining two hives  (Read 1350 times)

Offline dp

• House Bee
Combining two hives
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:24 am »
I've got a very weak hive and an up and coming hive with a strong queen.  I'd like to combine them.

Got a few questions:

1) if I do the newspaper between the two deeps, do both hives need an entrance, or will the upper hive eat through the paper quick enough to survive?

2) Currently, these hives are about 20' apart.  If I combine them, won't I have problems with them going back to their old spot?

3) Is it best to combine them in the evening when most of the bees have returned?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Combining two hives
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23:39 am »
1.  two entrances

2. yes, but....take all equipment away from old site.  they will figure it out.  they'll either find their hive or join your other hives.  sometimes it takes a couple of days.

3. that's what i do.  i'd think early morning before foragers are out would work ok also.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
I have the same problem, but the strong hive is nastier and I want to preserve the queen from the weaker hive. The natural hive is weak because it was started late and is possibly being robbed by stronger hive, but both queens are good layers.

When do I get rid of the queen from the pissy hive?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »
I would get rid of your nasty queen about 24 hours prior to when you want to combine. Much longer than that, and you will start to see an abundance of queen cells.