Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new member/ multiple queen question  (Read 1375 times)

Offline funbee1

• New Bee
new member/ multiple queen question
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:44:10 pm »
Hi my name is Scott, I live in Avoca,MI. Today I installed my first bees ever into their hives.
As I was opening one 3lb. package I notices a marked queen(I didn't order marked queens) in with all the bees. I thought the queen must have been released from the queen cage but that was not the case as my unmarked queen was still in the queen cage. I was going to try and get that rouge marked queen out but by the time I ran to get something to put her in I couldn't find her again. I thougt if I insatlled the bees I would be able to find her easier once I dumped the bees into the hive. I dumped them in and then moved them around a bit but never saw the marked queen again. I closed up the hive but now I'm worried I'm going to have issues because their are two queens. Will one take off with half the hive or will the bees take care of things and kill one off? I would really appreciate any advice on the matter, I'm as green as they come with beekeeping.

thanks,
scott

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: new member/ multiple queen question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:53:52 pm »
In the queens second year her venom pouch dries up.

If a young queen and an old queen fight the young queen usually wins.

Have the bees accepted the caged queen or are they attacking her through the queen cage?

mvh edward  :-P

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: new member/ multiple queen question
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
If your worried about them swarming put an queen excluder fence on the hive so no queens can swarm.

mvh Edward  :evil: