Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Membership drive???  (Read 6038 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Membership drive???
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »
If you have not noticed yet, I like to hang out and discuss bees. I favor to hang out on one bee site. I love to have chatter all day long as time permits. The more the better. The more traffic, the more opinions. The more opinions, the more varied information. The more varied information, the more you learn.

It seems that the new members are joining at a good pace. But I wonder if their is anything else that could grow the site. Like some membership drive. Something like asking members to make an effort to pass along the site in meetings, clubs, and other avenues.

I hope I'm not mentioning something and stepping on toes or going against the ideology of the site and beemaster. But perhaps it's not his position to ask such a thing from members. I don't know. So I'm just throwing out the idea of what the members can do, to add to the site to make it the best it can be. For me, that means alot of posting and members on-line. Nothing sucks more than when no posts are made for periods of time, or you log on and find yourself the only one on-line.

I often times talk to others about where I hang out to answer questions and take part in helping beekeepers. But I oftentimes forget to mention the site and miss the opportunity to spread the information on a larger scale. You may not want every Tom, Dick, or Harry here on the site. But I have mentioned it to a few beekeepers and they knew nothing about it. I look at a site as this as a group I get to know and come to for not just opinions on bees but entertainment also.

I love to check out the site stats and see where the site is and whether it will break the previous months numbers in new members, etc. (Ok, I know...I'm sick that way!)

Forgive me if this is out of place or not welcome. Just trying to help.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Membership drive???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:57:57 pm »
This is a great Idea IMO. I believe there is room for the clubs and groups to have space on the forum to discuss and share activities and agendas.  I also believe there is a template for business cards to give out at the events and meetings to spread the word.  Keep the ideas coming, we all share in the success of this forum.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:30:10 pm »
Bjornbee.  I do not think that you were at all out of place in what you said, do not worry about that.  Thinking of ways to promote stuff is wonderful.  Agreed, the more that is done to promote this site to get more beekeepers involved and sharing their stories, tales, experiences; new beekeepers that we can all help in a little way; is a wonderful thing.  Ideas are wonderful, and I don't think that any of us should ever worry about putting our ideas out there, things would never be enhanced or anything like that if we all shut our mouth, good for you, go dude go!!!  Have that great and wonderful day and life, best of health to us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:30:18 am »
Thank you pd.

Cindy,
Could something like this be worked out? (of course this is aimed at beemaster approval, etc.) Have a monthly or quarterly contest. When people post in the "tell us about yourself" thread, add a mention as they log onto the thread that they "please include the name of the person if you were referred to this site". And you could also just add they mention how they found the site also (google search, from another site, etc.), although this is not part of the contest.

Then, someone (like you to be in charge) can quickly scan the "Tell us about yourself" forum monthly or quarterly, and post the top three people who referred the most individuals. The winner could be given some non-material title to be added to their name and info area. (hey, don't get me wrong...I'm always up for a thousand dollar prize....  :-D  )

I know other sites have a referral count, or something else, but it's meaningless from a group standpoint. A contest can be fun, can point out those making contributions behind the scenes in promoting the site, and can really add to the site members.

This but one idea. What does anyone else think?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:44 am »
Just a Quick Note:

Growth is great, I appriciate it as much as everyone. But unnoticed by many, we have voice,video and text chat where many members spend HOURS a DAY and if you miss any of these, you miss the most active and LIVE interaction.

As far as Fund Raisers, we don't need them, to stay commercial free is well handled by the contributions from the members WITHOUT having a set months aside for people to contribute.

Beemaster has been around about 10 years, has been No.1 beekeeping Forum for 4 years UNTIL Others allowed Gooooogle ads on their site and MAGICALLY they rise above us.

I don't like getting gimmicky with contests, but I surely would love all members here to mention or print up a set of cards (I have a pdf template) and hand them out at clubs and groups or you honey stand.

Bjorne, we are doing fine, we aren't looking for 10 thousand members JUST so we have endless material to work on. Our pace is nice, it is growing, everything in it's time I believe.

We think differently here, Quanity means nothing without quality - I've always said I'd rather have 1000 great members than 10 thousand crappy ones. For those who migrate from other forums to here, they are very welcome - new beekeepers and anyone with questions too make it our way often.

Remember too, our numbers reflect REAL MEMBERS who have been active, not just registered, or those who never post - many just read and never post - sadly, but true.

With TV, Audio and Texting, PMs and Forums and Emails - I think our members already have plenty of ways (more than any other forum I know of) and if someone isn't using the great special features, they are seriously missing out on friendships.

Just last night, I cooked a complete dinner with the cam and audio on, I'll be announcing in the calendar the next cooking shows and we'll see how many viewers. I have had up to 16 people watching my cam and over 14 people hacve online cams now and dozens come into Ventrilo voice chat.

Please, anyone come up with member drives, that is cool - simply writing the forum address down for someone will get them here :)

I'm proud of what we have done, any dropping of placement in major search engines is because we stay PRIVATE and COMMERCIAL FREE - not to forget family friendly. Find another forum out there like that, and I'll show you an imitator :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:40:46 am »
Mike,

Your not the only one that likes looking at the forum stats ;)   A healthy growth of new members is always a good thing and I'm all for ways to do it.  I had some business cards made that I hand out when I give presentations.  I also carry some in my car for when I'm doing removals.  It seems like a lot of people are tuned into honeybees being in the news,  and I am amazed as the amount of people that approach me about bees when I'm doing removals.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 11:12:40 am »
I tell every body that I talk to about Beemaster's and the ventrilo chat. If you build it they will come. I thank the Beemaster ( John ) for doing that and the the rest of the gang for there help keeping the form fun.The member's here just telling other people is good enough no contest needed.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:37:10 pm »
I promote Beemaster at Bee school every year, and sent out to the whole club the thread showing our swarm this past summer.  Several Plymouth County Beekeepers Association members are members here.  I do what I can to get the word out on my favorite honeybee forum!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:20:57 pm »
Nice to hear members spreading the words - the card robo submits above print out 10 per page, and regular paper is fine, it's just a handout at the local club, etc..

It is fun to watch and observe as people really pour in during early Spring, grow steady through the Summer (although not as heavy as early Spring) and small up surge in the Fall for Winter Hives. During the Winter (and here we are again, is when some members get cabin fever and find the fuse on their tempers are shortened. Last season we had our hands full trying to save members who we self distructing here, sometimes you just can't get through the mission of our forum and how important it is.

So, I just aslk anyone who reads this, take it easy on us this Winter, realize your membership is a Priveledge not a Right - and respect everyone, just express your point of view and let others debate your points. Fighting is never an option here and post count brings you no favors either.

I wish everyone a short and mild Winter and healthy bees in the Sring - and that's why we're here, to get our bees to Spring!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.