Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First honey!  (Read 2967 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
First honey!
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:49:04 am »
Bear with me.  :-D This is our first ever homegrown honey.
It's light and very good tasting. Probably white dutch clover. That's what's been blooming mostly as of the last week or so.
Hubby wanted to leave the comb in. That's the way he likes it.
We only harvested one frame, and got 2 jars. I put the frame back in the hive for the bees to clean up.
Now hubby wants a bee jacket too. He's pretty excited about our first honey.
I got stung, for the first time. On the thumb, trying to pick up a frame and a bee got in the way.
So now I'm a real beekeeper, and have the honey and sting to prove it!  :-D
Brenda

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: First honey!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:58:55 am »
Good for you how long have you had your bee's :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:27:25 am »
That is so awesome! Congrats!

I have a question about the wax- did you crush it to get it into the jar?
How does your husband use the honey with the wax still in it?
And, do you have a glass lid on the jar?

I think it is very cool that your husband is getting interested in the bees, too.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:38:58 am »
Congrats!

Once upon a time, people would always eat the wax and all, many older people still prefer it that way.

Ive tried it too, on toast and you know, you dont even notice it apart from at the end, when its like you have a free bit of chewing gum as a bonus!

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:52:07 pm »
I started with this package on April 24th of this year.
I'm not sure how he will use it, but he likes honey mixed with peanut butter, so I imagine he'll mix it.
He just scraped it off the wax foundation. It was light honey with pale wax and cappings.
The next batch will probably be strained.
Brenda

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:51:14 pm »
I got mine on june 8th maybee I'll get some by august. What ever happen's I want to make sure they have honey for the winter  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 06:49:41 pm »
Wow that's awesome! I'm envious, hived my bees on April 25th and still have yet to put supers on. Will check them out tomorrow and see how they are doing in the upper deep. Maybe I can put my supers on soon!  :-D

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 05:55:11 pm »
Oh wow congratulations!  I like comb honey and don't mind the wax at all :)  Yum :)

I hived my two packages on May 11th and haven't added Supers yet.  I don't think I will get any honey this year apart from us sticking our fingers in the comb during inspections lol!  I think the bees will need all the honey they make this year!  Hopefully next year I will get some honey though!

Enjoy!  My husband wasn't keen on me getting bees at all but now he loves them as much as I do and is hoping we get more hives next year :) 

Offline JoelinGA

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 06:02:01 pm »
Did an inspection today and might be able to add my super onto one of my hives next week. The other one looks like it may be two weeks before. So hopefully in next 6 weeks will have some honey of my own like that!  :-D

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 06:18:12 pm »
This my third summer as a beekeeper. First summer, one shallow super of honey. Second summer, (last year) it sucked. We had a severe drought, my bees struggled and not a thimble full of honey for me. I was a poor beekeeper on top of that. This year the drought is not as severe. Around the first of June, I extracted five supers of honey. I put the supers back on the hives and they are ready to be extracted again!

Be patient, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan