Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Commercial patty feeding  (Read 2721 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Commercial patty feeding
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:57 pm »
I'm not pushing brands of pollen sub. Thought this was some what interesting, when I get into a hive I worry about crushing bees.

feeding bees Nutra-Bee pollen substitue

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Commercial patty feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:42 pm »
thanks for the tip-- ;)  RDY-B

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »
Where are these guys that they have to put that much pollen sub on the bees? If this was their second feeding of 5-7lbs per hive that can be really expensive! I wonder if they do it more than twice?

Of course, if you're keeping 1000 hives in one yard you gotta do something to keep them from dying before you get them to the almonds and then quickly selling them off after.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »
Not to mention that if you put that on southern hives you would have nothing but a huge ball of SHB maggots within a week!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »
Where are these guys that they have to put that much pollen sub on the bees? If this was their second feeding of 5-albs per hive that can be really expensive! I wonder if they do it more than twice?

Of course, if you're keeping 1000 hives in one yard you gotta do something to keep them from dying before you get them to the almonds and then quickly selling them off after.

Scott
the cost is minimal-that product is available for a dollar a pound for minimum 1000 pounds-those hives can be split and still make grade for almonds-queens are purchased a year ahead of time-150--165 per colony for almonds--then there is a huge sale of bulk bees at the end of almonds--that keeper has perfected feed lot style beekeeping-we all ready now that the location is important --bees from florida coming out of a natural pollen and nectar flow at this time of year are also a very equitable commodity for the california pollination market--o and did i mention that this keepers winter loses are in the 3%
or under range -its all BUSINESS -He sells that sub by the tractor trailer load and feeds many huge holding yards of out of state keepers all trying to cash in on the california almond rush-I think its a great return on the dollar to invest in the health of your bees--RDY-B

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
rdy-b, I do understand the keeping of bees from a pure $ standpoint, but still...$14 or more per hive aint cheap...of course when you look at the pay I guess it's easily enough absorbed.

We have beekeepers in this area that keep around 20,000 hives or so just for the almonds. They sell them off as weak hives as soon as they get back from Cali and order new bees and woodenware. These they build up over summer (but in smaller yards) only to turn around and do the same the next year. The #s work...they can clear 3 million or so this way.

Yes, it's very similar to the feed lot approach. It just rubs me wrong though.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
 yes i know nobody likes it -but remember almonds is all cali keepers realy have-you guys got all the HONEY- 8-) RDY-B

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:37:38 pm »
The only reason that FL is a top honey producer is that there are so many beekeeper here. Yields per hive here are far lower than northern states.

With the weather and the almost year-round mini flows we can grow lots of bees :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:54:51 am »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:40:39 am »
Your car?

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »
I noticed they're aren't using syrup in that video. I just recently put around two pounds of pollen sub split between the top and bottom boxes since both areas had clusters. Thought about using baggies for syrup but decided against it this time round. Everyone else in the area has gallon feeders on top. will see on next check.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:53:21 pm »
Your car?
that car belongs to Kieth Jaret the keeper in the vid-but it is a old pic 2003
so im sure by now the ash tray got full and he has a new one-- :lol:  RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »
I noticed they're aren't using syrup in that video. I just recently put around two pounds of pollen sub split between the top and bottom boxes since both areas had clusters. Thought about using baggies for syrup but decided against it this time round. Everyone else in the area has gallon feeders on top. will see on next check.
  yep the way he will feed that yard is set ten drums and open feed -he also runs triples
and likes those mannlake top feeders -with a little modification -holds four gallons-just to show how the thief's are at this time of year -there was A report that he keep feeding 4 gallon feeders full and then they found out some one was stealing the syrup-you feed 500 triples and someone steals the feed right behind you-tanker loads arnt cheap ether- 8-) RDY-B

anything