Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Woodenware squaring  (Read 2731 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
Woodenware squaring
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm really a detail nut, I get it from my Dad who used to do carpentry work.  He helped me put together my hive bodies today and I noticed that the deeps were square, but the mediums are like a centimeter off square.  Will this cause me any problems?

I used wood glue, a dead strike mallet, and then screwed everything together with drywall screws.

Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Woodenware squaring
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:26:00 pm »
when mine are a little off, i put them on the ground and sit on them to force them back.   :evil:

if it's only a little, it won't  matter.  as long as the frames sit straight and the boxes match ok, it's fine.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:48:05 pm »
The nice thing about bees is they will not grade you on your project skills. They will adapt. Like Kathy mentioned it will be OK. Or don't worry bee happy. I have made it a s.o.p. to allways check the measurements from corner to corner and adjust them before the glue sets up. Different manufactures of boxes will vary some. That is assuming that you do not cut them out yourself. The bees do not care if they are perfect as long as it keeps the elements out they will do their thing.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:16 am »
To make sure the project I am building is square, on top of the work bench on one corner perfectly square, I glued and screwed two pieces of wood 5/8"X2"x 2'. When I make a hive body, I glue, set it inside the corner of the strips , clamp and screw. It comes out square and no twists every time. To keep from getting glue on the table top or into the corner, put a piece of plastic like schrink wrap or Saran wrap over the strips and onto the table top.
When you want to use your belt sander to sand, you can use these strips as stops to hold the piece of wood you are sanding.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:13 am »
In our shop we have a "glue-up" table all by itself. There's two 1/2"x3/4"x2' strips of wood glued on one corner in an "L" shape at a good 90degree angle. When assembling anything square you simply push the piece into that corner while gluing or nailing to keep it all square. The table periodically gets a coat of Johnson's paste wax (making sure to wipe off as much as possible after drying to prevent transfer to your piece which inhibits any finish you may apply later) and over the years it's gotten many coats of wax. Any glue drips just sweep off when dry.

I've tried my own beeswax polishes before but couldn't stand the smell of turpentine during drying.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907