Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Split  (Read 1587 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
First Split
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:18 pm »
Today I inspected one of my hives and discovered four queen cells, two were capped.  I decided to take one of the frames with a nice cell on it and nurse bees and put them in a five frame nuc.  I added emerging brood and pollen stores. Two frames have drawn empty brood cells. On top I added a five frame medium super with two full frames of honey and the rest with empty comb.  I took a good amount of workers from the same hive, and placed the nuc about a 1/2 mile away on another location.  Since the greater amount of brood was in the upper deep of the original hive, I reversed the deeps.  I guess will wait and see what happens.  I also removed the other queen cells.  Humm...wondering if that was a good move. 

David   

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: First Split
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:43:11 am »
Sounds like a plan.

You might also open up the brood nest.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:12:27 pm »
Ok, yes I will look around in it again.  That hive is really strong.  Whats cool is they have a nice temperament.  Hopefully I don't loose that trait in the split.  I visually checked the split this morning and the activity looks good.  I put them under an apple tree...LOL. 

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:41:40 pm »
Way to go Depence. Sounds like everything is going well your way. How did the Russians turn out?

Dennis

anything