Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting the first hive colonised by a closely located Pro keeper  (Read 2713 times)

Offline BumbbleBee

• New Bee
Getting the first hive colonised by a closely located Pro keeper
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:34 pm »
I have got a beehive for a subsidised price of Rs. 300 (~$5). An acquaintance of mine is a professional beekeeper by whom I'm getting my first hive colonised. We are thinking about setting up the hive by March 4-5.

But he lives (with his 15-20 hives) around 400 yards from the location where I would like to deploy my hive. He says he leaves his box (maybe brood box) at my place for a couple of days to let the bees 'set' themselves to their new home. Can't we use some things like a tree branch as a 'change mark' for the bees?

Do you find anything fishy in his procedure? He is already a bit infamous for tricking people in the bee business.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Getting the first hive colonised by a closely located Pro keeper
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:56 pm »
Is he your only choice? If you go ahead with it be sure to mark your hives and frames.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:43 pm »
The flying bees will most certainly go back.  Some try tricks, but I'm not so sure they work well.  Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I haven't had luck with that.  I'd find a place 3+ miles away for a few days then move them back to your home.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

vasukinv

Re: Re: Re: Getting the first hive colonised by a closely located Pro keeper
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:00 pm »
The flying bees will most certainly go back.  Some try tricks, but I'm not so sure they work well.  Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I haven't had luck with that.  I'd find a place 3+ miles away for a few days then move them back to your home.
I don't have such father place to temporarily move them. Do you think it's better to politely cancel the deal?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vasukinv

Re: Re: Re: Getting the first hive colonised by a closely located Pro keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
Is he your only choice? If you go ahead with it be sure to mark your hives and frames.

Yes, mate, I will. He is the only guy I know in this town who does the job.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »
I don't know that I'd avoid getting bees if he is truly your only option.  Maybe ask him if he has another apiary to move them to prior to purchase?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline BumbbleBee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:50:35 am »
To be on the safer side, and avoid any misunderstanding with that person, I'll cancel the deal politely. I'm thinking about catching a swarm.

Please help with my thread titled  Is it the right time to build and deploy a swarm trap? :
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,43797.0.html

Link added (Buzzbee)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:11:39 am by buzzbee »

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:41:38 am »
He says he leaves his box (maybe brood box) at my place for a couple of days to let the bees 'set' themselves to their new home.

Maybe I do not understand but as I read it you say he will move his brood box to your place along with your new bees to prevent the drifting. Your new bees will orient to the location in his yard were the old box (parent hive) was located. And the bees from his hive he plans to move to your yard as a helper will also orient back to his old yard. That is if I understand your move.

The question is how $ is this actually an investment for you personally. And you have already stated the fellow is less than desirable to do business with. Having or not having the bees or risking catching a swarm are the key. Weigh your options???
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:07 am »
Please help with my thread titled  Is it the right time to build and deploy a swarm trap? :
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,43797.0.html

Depends on when your swarm season is.... but have it ready.
John 3:16

Offline BumbbleBee

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »
He says he leaves his box (maybe brood box) at my place for a couple of days to let the bees 'set' themselves to their new home.

Maybe I do not understand but as I read it you say he will move his brood box to your place along with your new bees to prevent the drifting. Your new bees will orient to the location in his yard were the old box (parent hive) was located. And the bees from his hive he plans to move to your yard as a helper will also orient back to his old yard. That is if I understand your move.

The question is how $ is this actually an investment for you personally. And you have already stated the fellow is less than desirable to do business with. Having or not having the bees or risking catching a swarm are the key. Weigh your options???

I went to his place today. He has many nuc boxes. He said he will leave one of those at my place for a couple of days, and once that nuc gets oriented to my location, he'll move them to my new hive.

Interestingly, he has guaranteed that the strength of the colony will not be dropped. If I see any decline in the strength within a week, he'll exchange it with a new colony. Deal sounds acceptable; doesn't it?

And regarding money, it's Rs. 650 for the colony (an equivalent of around $10.5). It's a solid figure for me.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
I have moved a couple of hives 100 yards, put some limbs with leaves in front of hives, up against the hive.  Then removed the screen and they reoriented to new yard.  Yours may not, there is no guaranty.  Good luck to you

Joe

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:33:55 am »
If it's only the distance you speak of and your population drops, tell him that you want a couple "shakes" of bees from one of his hives, instead of going thru switching hives again. When you shake the frames from his hive in front of yours, the bees that go into your will be nurse bees and will not have oriented yet. Good way to boost hive population.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BumbbleBee

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »
I have moved a couple of hives 100 yards, put some limbs with leaves in front of hives, up against the hive.  Then removed the screen and they reoriented to new yard.  Yours may not, there is no guaranty.  Good luck to you
Joe
Thank you.

If it's only the distance you speak of and your population drops, tell him that you want a couple "shakes" of bees from one of his hives, instead of going thru switching hives again. When you shake the frames from his hive in front of yours, the bees that go into your will be nurse bees and will not have oriented yet. Good way to boost hive population.
Brilliant. Sounds logical. I wonder if they don't fight with the native bees.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:51 am »
Nurse bees have yet to acquire  the hive scent, the guard bees let them pass without too much squabbling. The older bees will fly back to their hive location, just make sure the queen isn't on the frames.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!