Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boy! Ain't this the truth!  (Read 21144 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Boy! Ain't this the truth!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:17 pm »
And to suggest that this is the same as a dumb blond joke is

i'm so disappointed that you think it's ok to make fun of dumb blondes :-(.  they can't help it.  even those who choose to go blonde, do so because they know that's the category they belong in.  making fun of them is just...wrong!  this is especially true since, to my knowledge, no dumb blonde has ever blown anything up, or chopped off anyones head.   i could be wrong about this as the dumb blonde might have accidental injured herself.....
it's probably also fair to say that there are blondes who are not dumb.   it's hard to find them as they usually don't speak up, but i know they are there.  if they were not, there would be so many dumb incidents, we would not be able to keep track of all of them.  

Ohhhhhhh....but kathy....read my comments. I never said it was ok to tell blond jokes. I only commented on the rationale that because some see the need to tell blond jokes, that it equates on the same level as racist, bigoted, or denigrating comments of other groups of people. I don't think anyone seriously thinks that a blonde joke, a redneck joke, or a Yankee joke, is on the same level as black, gay, or Muslim comments disguised as jokes. I already said, others are not idiots as you may think. So please do not try to rationalize, slice, dice, or go a yankin chains to justify this.

Now, if you would ask me what I thought about blond jokes, I would be more than happy to tell you what I think.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
Look at it this way kathy.

I've never known anyone who told Irish, blond, redneck, or other jokes, anything but a person who was telling a funny. I've told redneck jokes. But does that mean I do not like rednecks. No. And I'll laugh at a good blond joke. Because it is nothing but a joke. I know anyone telling a blond joke is just trying to be funny. I never seen it that they hated blonds.

But.....I find those telling gay, black, and Muslim jokes, not really telling jokes, as much as a group of good ol' boys, spewing hate filled stories and little else...disguised as humor. I'm not diggin into the past comments, but it is clear the comments come from an angle of NOT liking these groups. So it has little to do with being funny.

People see humor like Jeff "You might be redneck" Worthy, or blond jokes for exactly what it is. While most can see the difference in disguised humor aimed at groups these story tellers do not like. One is humor...and the other is not.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »
This happens often in college. (I got a little lost in the Penn & Teller "B.S." series yesterday) I know this forum is not necessarily a bastion of free speech, because it's a private institution.
But I have first-hand knowledge that many colleges claim loudly to be a forum of thought and ideas - but don't think for a second that if your ideas rub your subjective learning (non math, science, grammar courses) teacher the wrong way that your grades won't suffer. Colleges are forums of ideas only as long as your ideas fall within the constraints of acceptable speech. I was an honors student ages ago (I'm not saying this to brag, but to assert that I was no slouch academically) And scored a big fat C in "ethics" (brainwashing) because even though I know for certain that I demonstrated a clear understanding of the precepts; the professor was perturbed by my insistence on looking deeper at a topic - I tended to write in favor of "teach a man to fish instead of making him dependent on you being there with a fish for him" with the overall theme in my approach being that sometimes behavior that seems cruel in fact only fosters personal growth and independence.
            As far as jokes about Islam I'm not joking - I don't trust them. A pattern has developed worldwide in which more and more power and control are seized by minority numbers - demanding accommodation and refusing to assimilate.
I am 100%  in favor of tolerance and understanding - but the pattern shows that our tolerance and understanding is guaranteed to be  a one way street leading to the abolition of tolerance. I guess one of the hallmarks of prejudice and bigotry are ignorance.. sorry, I cant be accused of that. I went to work finding out what turns them into radicals. - Islam does - they show us Americans the good happy parts of the koran and don't tell us until a few years of indoctrination that those good beautiful parts of the koran have been superseded by later  "prophecies"  - the destructive "kill or enslave them all if they don't convert" ones. And then there's the POLICY of taquiyya - which means "lie to the infidel's face however you please".
     So, yeah I don't trust them a bit, but it isn't out of ignorance.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:56 pm »
I think you need to research why the political cartoons were started in the press. It was to exaggerate and humiliate the things that were wrong in the government. Not that they didn't like the government, but that what they were doing was wrong. The same applies to the "shall we say hardcore" muslims. It's not a hatred for the people as a whole, just a dislike for the things they are doing.

Jokes have always been used to expose the wrongs of the world. Of course, if you think blowing up babies and beheading anyone you disagree with is OK, then I guess you won't like my jokes.

Now, you say a joke is funny with the word redneck in it, but the same joke with the word changed to queer isn't. Now that's really a good one. Thanks for letting us know you are so well balanced in your thoughts of treatment of different people.

Now see my latest. It's a new ??joke??
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
BjornBee

Are you a Black, Muslim, Gay, or some other of those you choose to protect? If not then sit quietly on the sidelines and let those who are of the catagory being joked about jump in and tell us themselves how offended they are.

I've never known anyone who told Irish, blond, redneck, or other jokes, anything but a person who was telling a funny. I've told redneck jokes. But does that mean I do not like rednecks. No. And I'll laugh at a good blond joke. Because it is nothing but a joke. I know anyone telling a blond joke is just trying to be funny. I never seen it that they hated blonds.

And the same goes for the other categories. Doesn't mean we hate them. As I said before I have friends and family from those other categories. I do begin to think you are really a closet bigot. That is why it bothers you so much.

While I am ranting... Do you really believe redneck, Yankee, southern, and other jokes were not started from groups that hate them? How naive you must be.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:27 pm »
All that stuff I said right before - I forgot to pretty much say:

Now, you say a joke is funny with the word redneck in it, but the same joke with the word changed to queer isn't. Now that's really a good one. Thanks for letting us know you are so well balanced in your thoughts of treatment of different people.
..when I brought up colleges - you can be as outrageous as you want there as long as it's the approved kind of outrageous. (which is hypocritical).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »
BjornBee

Are you a Black, Muslim, Gay, or some other of those you choose to protect? If not then sit quietly on the sidelines and let those who are of the catagory being joked about jump in and tell us themselves how offended they are.

So this is your requirement in life. That only groups being offended should speak up. How sad. I don't need to be black, gay or Muslim to recognize when a joke is no longer a joke, and borders on hate filled bigotry and racism.

As for your demand I sit by quietly....I'm shaking in boots. But this isn't the first time or the last that somebody demands someone with a different point to be silenced. 

BjornBee

While I am ranting...

Yes you are. Not making sense either.

Do you really believe redneck, Yankee, southern, and other jokes were not started from groups that hate them? How naive you must be.

What was started long ago, is a bit different today. As I said, jokes about rednecks and blonds are hardly seen as hate filled and a means of denigrating others. I'll tell a blond joke for what it is...humor. Nothing like what you want to make of it as some hate filled crap on the same level as other "humor" you suggest.

If you can't take the criticism or an opposing viewpoint, perhaps you should stop running around demanding others sit on the side line and get out of the kitchen yourself. Typical that those slinging mud towards others are the first ones to be offended and start crying. I must be getting under someones skin when people start demanding that a view not their own is not worth defending and they start demanding others shut up. And you suggest I am naive. Now that...is a better joke than the original post.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
All that stuff I said right before - I forgot to pretty much say:

..when I brought up colleges - you can be as outrageous as you want there as long as it's the approved kind of outrageous. (which is hypocritical).

Bee Happy,
I agree.

I don't mind any kind of free speech.

Although I am in heavy favor of proper places and avenues.  ;)

I think certain things are fine at home, and others may not be for the church service. Some things are proper at my friends house, but not while visiting my kids classroom at school.

It just seems nowadays, there is no couth involved with some as they see no proper place for their comments.

And just because the college system is broke, is no excuse for thinking it should be same everywhere else.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 08:08:34 pm »
""As I said, jokes about rednecks and blonds are hardly seen as hate filled and a means of denigrating others. ""

Well, maybe we should tell more of them, so they get to where they "are hardly seen" as being so bad.

Personally, I took it kind of hard when you accused me of marrying my sister, but I didn't post back about it. I let it ride as I do all jokes I don't agree with.

I doubt there has ever been a joke that didn't offend someone, somewhere. I pick out the ones I like, and ignore the ones I don't like.

I do appreciate you explaining to us that you do see them as degrading when told about certain groups, but not others. It really explains a lot about your motives.

If I were to quit telling ethnic jokes, I would at least include all ethnicities.
I'm glad you told us it has to be only certain ones to be bad.

Same with other groups.

Hey, I have an idea. Why don't you post a yes and no list. One listing groups we can joke about, one listing groups we can't joke about. We really need to know which ones are off limits.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:16 pm »
Iddee,

When you tell an "Irish" bar joke, nobody really takes it to mean that all Irish are drunks. And the jokes are not aimed at Irish by those who do not like them. It's taken as a joke. Nothing more.

That same parallel is not seen by gay, Muslim or black jokes. You, as well as others, have clearly confirmed by not defending the joke, but indicating your bias and dislike of these groups, the reasoning of telling the jokes to begin with. You think it's funny to denigrate those groups you dislike. Nobody tells "Irish" jokes because they hate Irish guys who happen to frequent bars.And nobody tells blond jokes because they hate blonds.

If you don't understand the difference, there is nothing more I can do to help.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »
You are the one who doesn't understand.

I'm sure you have been told, and likely said, ""If I didn't like you, I wouldn't pick on you.""

We don't hate those groups. You have just decided in your mind that we do.
 Jokes are made about groups by themselves and their actions. The jokes are just truth stretched out to the point of being a joke, and a far cry from being fact any longer. That is what makes a joke to begin with.

If you had ever sat for hours with a group of blacks and told black & white jokes, sat with a group of Jews and told Jewish and other ethnic jokes, etc., as I have, maybe you could understand. Since you haven't, I guess you never will.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »
So you only tell jokes of the groups you like. Now that is funny. Not sure I buy it. But it's funny just the same.  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:30 pm »
Looking at it through the correct window, Yes.
Because I like all groups. Maybe not all things about all groups, nor any group, but I don't dislike any groups, as groups. Only individuals.

Therefore, I can joke about all groups, since I like them all.
That's what you can never understand. You have never spent time in 18 countries, drinking, partying, going to church, visiting families, etc. You have never lived within the ""clan"" of many diverse groups, laughed with them cried with them, ate and slept with them.

If you ever did, you could differentiate many things you cannot now.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:35 pm »
Why don't you come visit me sometime. I would love to introduce you to Nader, my muslim friend. Bill, my black friend. Bruce, my homosexual friend. Mr. & Mrs. Barefoot, my Cherokee friends. Joussef, my Jewish friend. Dusty, my retarded friend. Bernardo, my illegal mexican friend. And a few others around town here.

And let's not forget my new South African friend whom I just met a week or two ago and am mentoring in beekeeping.

Then I would like to hear your opinion of my bigotry and hatred.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
I'm the type person that drove to South Carolina just to say Hello to a forum member.
Then to Virginia for the same reason. Remember??
Then to Florida for the same again.
Now plan to go to MS. in April to meet many of them.
I never have an enemy until an individual makes himself one.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:49 pm »
Here is an example of what I was getting at. Dire Straits has a song out called "Money for Nothing" There is a few lines in it that are not allowed on the radio. It is the "F" word for Gays. Now the funny thing is while everyone is running around boycotting the song, Elton John loves the song and has even performed it live on stage with Dire Straits. So what I am getting at is while you are running around proclaiming these jokes are bad, perhaps those the joke is about is laughing their butts off over them.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 01:20:16 am »
Hey i wanna know why my joke about copper wires didn't get this much attenion?   :-D  Guess i should have made Bubba gay i guess.   :shock: Of course i don't know what his sexual preferences would have to do with copper wires.  Iddee i just can't compete  :'(
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:52 am »
Why don't you come visit me sometime. I would love to introduce you to Nader, my Muslim friend. Bill, my black friend. Bruce, my homosexual friend. Mr. & Mrs. Barefoot, my Cherokee friends. Joussef, my Jewish friend. Dusty, my retarded friend. Bernardo, my illegal mexican friend. And a few others around town here.

And let's not forget my new South African friend whom I just met a week or two ago and am mentoring in beekeeping.

Then I would like to hear your opinion of my bigotry and hatred.

See iddee...that is your problem. You want others to see yourself as you see yourself. It does not work that way. Understanding how others perceive your actions, your words, and your intentions, are different many times from what you see yourself.

I don't have black friends, gay friends, Mexican friends, south American friends, and so on. I have friends. I see them as friends. Not black people, gays, etc. And I don't use my "friends" or some rationalization that becuase I know others in groups, and suggest as you do, that this justifies denigrating comments about these same groups. I don't have or make friends to allow myself to use them as punching bags for tasteless jokes. And I highly doubt many would appreciate these same jokes in their homes. And if you did tell these same jokes, I bet many would smile, and let it pass. But their opinion the next morning would be far less of you if you would of just kept your mouth shut.

I don't think one is measured by how many Friends you perceive yourself as having. Or how many "groups" one can claim to know and visit. Character is measured by ones actions and words when your at the water cooler the next morning, or around the fire with the buddies, or behind the screen of a computer. 

Do you really think I'm the only one who may think at tad less of you by your constant bashing and jokes of other groups. And your comments about your own secular ideas? I never said you don't have a right to say anything. I only hope you one day realize the impact and reactions to your words. If your just trying to make a bunch of good ol' boy peckerwoods laugh, I'm sure your right on cue for them. But we are not all peckerwoods.

I can only hope you understand this.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:02 am »
>>>>I can only hope you understand this.<<<<

I understand completely. No matter what I say, your mind is made up and you have the educational intellect to make it something it isn't. You should run for office.

It's just too bad you don't have the social intellect to understand people. You see life through a very small peephole and will never understand the broader picture. Listen to the media and dwell on every word, if you don't have the personal experience to decide for yourself.

I do pity you.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 09:31:55 am »
Who the he77 are you callin' a "good ole boy peckerwood" anyway?

That can be seen as a very offensive term by some.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907