Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Northern Indiana  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Tony V

• Brood
Greetings from Northern Indiana
« on: December 14, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »
I am new to beekeeping and plan on starting with 2 hives this spring.  I am assembling the second hive now.  I have been reading numerous books and have been pouring over the forums hoping to be prepared for spring. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings from Northern Indiana
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »
Welcome Tony
A little advance advice.   Build a 3rd hive for a spare.   You will be happy you did once swarm season kicks in.  You don't want to get a phone call that a basket ball size swarm is hanging in a neighbors bushes and have no where to put them.  Last year I got 14 swarms and that was a bad year for me.  Most years are closer to 20.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:03 pm »
Welcome Tony
A little advance advice.   Build a 3rd hive for a spare.   You will be happy you did once swarm season kicks in.  You don't want to get a phone call that a basket ball size swarm is hanging in a neighbors bushes and have no where to put them.  Last year I got 14 swarms and that was a bad year for me.  Most years are closer to 20.

Tony,
Danno offers some good advice...This was my first year, my "plan" was to buy 2 Nucs and have a local Beek catch me a swarm, in other words, three hives.

WELL....as a lot of Beeks will tell you, if they haven't already, beekeeping is addictive!  :-D

I was up to 11 hives at one point, lost one, so I'm sitting at 10 now...spent the day today building more boxes.  :)

As I told my wife the other day, I'm really not interested in growing my hive numbers...At the same time, I know good and well that if I get a swarm call, I'M GOING GET THOSE BEES!  :laugh:  Can't really explain it, but can't say no.  :)

Had a Beek once tell me you can never have too much woodenware, thought that was an exaggeration, turns out he was right!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:42 am »
What these guys are tell you is right.  I caught 7 swarms one week, ran out of boxes, and gave another beek two swarms.   Besides your reading you may want to join your local bee club.  They can bee a big help also.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Tony V

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
Thank you all for the sage advice.  I was contemplating getting another hive and will now do so, after hearing what you gents had to say.  I'm not sure how keen my wife will be on the idea though, she may take some convincing. 

anything