Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi there! I want to be a beekeeper.  (Read 3539 times)

Offline flibby

• New Bee
Hi there! I want to be a beekeeper.
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:07:01 am »
Hi there! I'm Katie. Sometimes referred to as Beth, sometimes, Flibby. They're all fine with me. ;)
I live in Alabama and I've just started becoming really interested in being a beekeeper, so I'm searching and researching for any and all information on beekeeping and my search led me here.

This seems like a very informative place and I can't wait to converse with all of you.

Nice to meet you!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Hi there! I want to be a beekeeper.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:23 am »
Hello and Welcome Katie
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:31:36 am »
Hi there, Katie/Beth/Flibby! 
(Glad that "Sybil" isn't one of your names!)
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum for learning more about bees and beekeeping. I've learned a great deal here. I recommend starting with the tutorials ("Backyard Beekeeing Course") on the main Beemaster page. I also like the forum 'search' function. Many times I find that my questions have already been discussed and I can find immediate answers.

Check your local library for books & videos about beekeeping. Read, Read, Read. And get involved with a local beekeeping club:
http://www.k4vb.com/REg%20bkpeg%20assoc%2012%2006.htm
Many clubs offer beginning beekeeping classes, and clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks.

Good Luck!
We look forward to reading about your adventures with bees!

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:35:19 am »
Hello Katie, The best advice is get together with a group or association around your area and get a mentor near you. The reading does a lot but hands on is even better. Watch what they do and do the same with your bees when you get them. Now is the time to start getting your equipment ready so order what you need and get started.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:19 am »
Welcome Katie.
Many posts, informative articles and discussions here. Good luck in your new endeavor. I never met a beekeeper yet who didn't just love beekeeping.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »
Hello, Like everyone else has said this site is very informative and interesting. There are a lot of great people here and dont forget to check out the live chat and web cams. Its a great way to actually see who you are talking with and be able to hear their voices.

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 07:35:10 pm »
Welcome Katie! Good, we need more girls around here.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:48:29 pm »
Katie, that is what I am going to call you, I prefer that name to your other two, smiling.  Welcome to our forum, so glad that your search has lead you here.  This is a place where you will love to spend time.  We have beginning beekeepers and many well seasoned ones that have been in this adventure for most of their lives.  We are here to help you, answer your questions -- a place where you can ask any question, and it is never considered irrelevant or dumb.  It will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, and here, you will make also some new friends.  Study about the bees, learn as much as you can.  When the time comes to finally get the bees that you have so-readied your life for, you will have excitement beyond your wildest dreams.  This is an adventure that will change every single day that you work with your bees, this you will soon find out.  Welcome, stick around, and....have a most wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 02:23:17 pm »
Glad to have another women on the forum. Us women need to get more into the bees as it has always been mainly a mans hobby.  I live in Placerville California and have 2 hives. I started beekeeping April 2006 and it has been wonderful. There are problems, many problems that happen but here on this forum, you will have the support of many, many experienced beekeepers.

How may hives do you plan on having??? Have you taken any classes yet?? Read, read read because there are many ways to start beekeeping and you need to make many decisions which way you want to go.   I started out one way and have been spending lots of time redoing many things because I did not start out the way I want to end up. I know this sound confusing, but some beekeepers use larger size supers and some use smaller sizes. Some use medications and some go all natural. Some start with 10 frame hives, some 8 frame hives.

Ask many questions and we will be there for you.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 03:46:29 pm »
Welcome aboard Katie, lots of good knowledge available here.

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:18 am »
Hello, Katie,

I'm in Mobile - are you nearby? If so, let me know if I can help with anything. Welcome to the forum.

Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

anything