Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with swarm cells in a cutout?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
What to do with swarm cells in a cutout?
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »
Did a cutout last week, had swarm cells. I treat them like insurance if i miss the queen.

SHould I not keep them? IS there risk they will swarm after a tramatic cutout?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to do with swarm cells in a cutout?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »
If you put the comb with the queen cell, some comb with honey and enough bees in a two frame nuc or a "queen castle" or a "mating box" (depending on the bee supplier) or a standard box with a follower reducing it to two frames, you can let them mate the queen and care for her.  What do you mean by "keep" them?  Leave them in the cutout?  One might be good insurance if you didn't see the queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:51 pm »
That answers part of the question.  So let me rephrase, will a hive that was about to swarm, still swarm even after it suffers the trauma of a cutout?

If you put the comb with the queen cell, some comb with honey and enough bees in a two frame nuc or a "queen castle" or a "mating box" (depending on the bee supplier) or a standard box with a follower reducing it to two frames, you can let them mate the queen and care for her.  What do you mean by "keep" them?  Leave them in the cutout?  One might be good insurance if you didn't see the queen.

Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:06:37 pm »
>That answers part of the question.  So let me rephrase, will a hive that was about to swarm, still swarm even after it suffers the trauma of a cutout?

You never know with bees.  I'd be more afraid of absconding than swarming because of the trauma.  But I doubt they will do either if you have brood in the cut out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin