Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone know what this flowering vine is?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Anyone know what this flowering vine is?
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
I have this vine growing at the edge of the woods...looks like it can be very invasive....climbing up and completely covering some branches....but....I've seen Honeybees getting white pollen from it in the morning. I just don't know what it is....the flower isn't much bigger or is  only as big a a bee.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Anyone know what this flowering vine is?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
i don't know but mine have been bringing in white pollen so i'll be interested to see some feedback on this.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:21:38 pm »
10Framer:  do you have this growing nearby?  I've been searching vines etc and cannot find out what it is. Everytime I think I need to get rid of something....I see bees on it...and it stays... :-D

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »
10Framer:  do you have this growing nearby?  I've been searching vines etc and cannot find out what it is. Everytime I think I need to get rid of something....I see bees on it...and it stays... :-D

I am doing the same thing, Even hesitating to get a couple of fields bush-hogged because of the flowers. Gotta do it though as the results won't be good for the larger livestock/dogs. (I hate cocklebur!!!! )

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:49:38 pm »
i've got a lot vines blooming in the area right now.  i saw one today that looks similar but the flowers looked more purple than the ones in the pictures.  i've either never seen or never noticed some things that are blooming now.  i've only been in the area for a year now so i'm paying a lot of attention to what's in bloom.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:05:25 pm »
The vine is Skunk Vine....I posted some pictures of it with the Honeybees on my blog www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com and got an answer.  Looked it up on line....sure enough....very invasive. We figured it had to be...never noticed it until this year and it is already taking over one tree and working on a couple of others. Once the bees have quit using it we'll try to cut it back...but I think it will be there next year when they need it.

Did find one website that says it's leaves can be eaten... I'm still thinking about that one...

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:37:54 pm »
The Skunk Vine that the bees had been foraging on has now lost all it's blooms...and some leaves are getting yellow...Guess Jim can cut it down now.

But....as I was walking around the yard to see what the bees were working...I heard a lot of buzzing overhead....Another big patch of Skunk Vine just blooming...My husband spotted this patch in the top of our Sweet Gum tree. It seems to like them.

You can see how close it is to the hives. There are two but only the R one shows. The L one is behind the flowering Jatropha plant.

anything