Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm removal out of a Tree IN Hanford Ca.  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Swarm removal out of a Tree IN Hanford Ca.
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:26:02 am »
Hey guys sorry no camera. The guy called just as we were walking out the door to go and get my son from school so it was toss everything in and go. We went and looked and had to go get a 20ft ladder. We brought it back and shook the bees off in the box. Came back down the 20ft and placed the box on the ground and went back up the ladder. Then cut one branch small though and then tossed those bees in the box. Then back up to get the last branch. When we left there was a small less then a fist size cluster on the tree from those foragers coming back for the night. But the queen was in the box. I did not see her but all of the bees in the box were out side the little flaps and fanning with there rears in the air.  Must have been about 3lbs of bees.  I did not have any bottom boards or top covers so I housed them in a deep nuc with a med nuc over the top. They are very dark bees and very calm bees as well. No stings again. What is with the dark swarms.  So we have to go to town tomorrow and I will call dadant tomorrow and order a bottom board and some top covers and go from there. So now I am up to 5 colonies. Now hopefully I dont get a call tomorrow because I dont have the equipment for it yet.

Angi

sorry no pictures guys It was a rush to toss everything in and we left.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: Swarm removal out of a Tree IN Hanford Ca.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:11:52 am »
Well those guys are doing good. They were flying in and out quite a bit and doing good. The swarm on monday is not as active as the last swarm hopefully they are ok. Tomorrow I will go into the Monday swarm and check on them as well as all of the other hives. Because we are supposed to be chilly and windy from sunday till mid to late week next week and I need to make sure everyone is doing good and see if the packages need more syrup and what not. Anyway I also went to Dadant today and got a case of 5 med supers and 2 more bottom boards and 2 top boards. So I would have enough for this last swarm and one other if I get another call.

Angi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:51:40 am »
No Pictures?! :(

Very cool otherwise.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:57 am »
No I got the call just as we were heading out the door to go get my son from school. So we threw stuff in and left. Checked on the swarm from monday they have several frames drawn out and there is eggs in there. So all is well with them. Just tomorrow I need to fill up there feeder with a little more syrup then once I put another box on I will remove the feeder.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 08:59:37 am »
Angi, go, girl, go, look what you are doing!!!  You are gonna be a busy girl, so hang on tight and go for that great ride!!!  Have the most beautiful and greatest of days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:54:57 pm »
So, with your swarm calls and your packages what are you up to now--5 or 6 hives?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:12:09 pm »
No I got the call just as we were heading out the door to go get my son from school. So we threw stuff in and left. Checked on the swarm from monday they have several frames drawn out and there is eggs in there. So all is well with them. Just tomorrow I need to fill up there feeder with a little more syrup then once I put another box on I will remove the feeder.

Angi

Seeing eggs is always a good thing. Great job!! Try not to forget the camera next time. I'm still waiting for some pics of two I did from my customer, but he can't seem to figure out how to send them, oh well.

Angi, your adventures continue, hooray!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:17:48 pm »
I now have dreams of hanging swarms. they actually exist? You mean you can get bees w/o getting stung and drowned in honey?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:38:18 am »
Yup,  Ya I am up to 5 now. One Cutout which needs to be split waiting on some feral queens from WV. the 2 packages I bought one on perma comb doing wonderfully with 4 frames of capped brood in the bottom box, 2 to 3 frames of capped brood and tons of uncapped in the middle box and syrup and pollen being set in the top box. Syrup has been pulled from them now. So they are on there own  and they needed be.  Might have to ad a box of starter strips with small cell if they keep this building up but wont till I find out what they are doing and when the brood hatches from the bottom they might be fine. But I do eventually want to get them all on wax starter strips before next year. The other package on PF 100 and PF120 got the second box added to them on Sat. Then 2 swarms one on monday which is almost all the way drawn out and has eggs. And the one on thursday hoping to be able to check on them in a few days when this wind and chill in the air dies down. So when the queen comes it will be 6 hives and bear in mind if I get any more calls. I bought a case of 5 more boxes from dadant. And 2 packages of small cell 4.9 foundation for starter strips.  Woo Hoo we are on a roll now. Did a mite drop count last week and saw none. So all is well there.

Angi