Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees changing cell size after drawing it out  (Read 1234 times)

Offline hoku

• New Bee
    • Monkeypod Organics
bees changing cell size after drawing it out
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »
recently I did a trapout.  Before the queen emerged and was mated, there was a flow on, and the bees built out about 8 frames of mostly very large cell comb for honey storage.   My question is, will the bees re-tool this comb into something smaller for the queen to lay in, or should I pull out some frames and have them start over?  (I use starter strips, if that is relevant.) 

The queen is finding some places to lay, I noticed, in about 3 of the frames so far, but I didnt notice if these were big cells before she layed in them.  They look like normal worker size currently.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: bees changing cell size after drawing it out
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:59 pm »
Just be sure they have room to build Without pulling any frames out. If all frames are full, add a box. They will arrange things the way they want them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: bees changing cell size after drawing it out
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »
Bees seldom retool any comb unless they are desperate for something.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything