Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutting lower corners off plastic foundation  (Read 3866 times)

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
Cutting lower corners off plastic foundation
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:53:23 pm »
I have some frames with Pierco foundation and the lower corners have been cut off for bee passage ways.  Sort of like the holes in Duragilt.  With wax foundation I have seen bees put these holes all over the place.

Has anyone else ever seen or done this to their plastic foundation?

Johnny

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Cutting lower corners off plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:53:30 am »
I use plasticell and I break off the corners. 

David

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:51 am »
When putting plastic in frames, I often break them off.  They are often scored to break.  I don't think it really matters, but I figure you may as well let the bees have the choice.  But then I just started putting a wood strip in instead of the plastic and let them have the whole frame for a choice...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:39:53 am »
If You have the 3/8 in. bee clearance, top, bottom, sides, etc, what big difference will two holes make that are about 3/8 - 1/2 in. from this bee space ? I believe this has been discussed by some noted arthors in several bee books.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:17 pm »
If You have the 3/8 in. bee clearance, top, bottom, sides, etc, what big difference will two holes make that are about 3/8 - 1/2 in. from this bee space ? I believe this has been discussed by some noted arthors in several bee books.

Bee-Bop

Sounds logical, but I fond when my bees draw comb from starter strips, they leave gaps in the corners and often in the middle, too, nice circles right at the bar. So whether it seems pointless to us or not, they seem to prefer it.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 12:32:12 am »
The middle makes sense to me...