Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late to do a cutout  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Bigfoot

• New Bee
Too late to do a cutout
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
Quick question for all you beekeepers out there, I might have an opportunity to do a cutout this month and my question is is it too late to do this? I live on the east-coast on the boarder of VA and NC and our temps are usually not bad even into November or sometimes December but it can also be unpredictable. I just don"t know when it's too late for cutouts, I'm going to access the situation tomorrow and I 'll know more about whats going on. Also I do know the people and might be able to convince them to wait till spring. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Too late to do a cutout
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
If you want to keep it as a hive, wait until spring. It is too late to do it now. If you want to use it to boost another hive by combining, it can still be done.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Too late to do a cutout
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:47 am »
Yes its a little late but doable.  As long as you find the queen and its a strong hive. Save all the stores and comb for banding in frames.  If you can find queen, set hive outside cutout until the next evening with her caged inside so you get the most bees you can.  Feed HBH 2.1 and a pollen patty.  If you dont find queen just combine with your other hives.  They may have a better chance of survival if you can manage them anyway.
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.