Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa in the subtropics  (Read 8481 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Varroa in the subtropics
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2023, 07:55:25 pm »
Max I haven?t been on your countries site in a while. Is there a definite plan from here?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 12:03:43 am »
Amazed how little news i have received about the current situation?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 01:20:12 am »
I have looked but did not come up with much.  Maybe no news is good news?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 12:40:45 am »
I have lost count of the number of emails I have sent to " experts".
Our situation seems to be unique and we will have to work it out as we go along.
All clear so far.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 04:21:29 am »
This summary has just been mailed:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1486513/DPI-Primefact-Varroa-mite-management-options_final-.pdf?&mkt_tok=NjQzLU5PRy0zMDAAAAGQKRMptKZFuOd_WQv-eQtZY7-mjKpHpeFPXZPCI-a-UAmMx-M718tXMeLDMEfEZNl3jSthviIYa_zL3T1wWyvZzFkff8Yefw7EXGHWesyi

It looks to me a good one and quite comprehensive.

The problem is that for us, in the subtropics , it does not offer any acceptable solutions.

We are never broodless, we may take honey off any time during the year.

I will have a chat with  some of my friends with a lot more hives then i have...but I can hear them already. They will simply use any available strips.

There are realy cowboy methods used to deal with SHB ( eg Fironil) and why would beekeepers use IPM? Too time consuming...

And for the people with just a few hives? Will they check their brood every 16 weeks?

Pigs may fly...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 07:12:04 am »
If the aphids aren't sprayed on the soybeans it will cost them 10% of their crop.  If the aphids are sprayed on the soybeans it will kill the bees and that will cost them 20% of their crop.  The intelligent move is to not spray.  I have one farmer who raised pumpkins and when I put the bees there he stopped spraying his soybeans and he saw no real difference except that there were more bees and it saved him a lot of money.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 05:26:20 pm »
There has been no more news about Varroa for a while.
The best information came from the Uni Florida.
It appears they are leading researchers in our climate range.
Reading a lot of their information ( and watching videos) i have worked out a plan which i feel i can handle considering my age limitation, time and financial cost.
Of course I'm hoping that Varroa will not make it up this way for  some years.
Everybody I sell nuc's to is aware of the requiremnet to watch out. I have quite a large mailing list and will keep these beekeepers informed.