Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Constructing Hives in Sudan  (Read 2309 times)

Offline markhhinson

• Brood
Constructing Hives in Sudan
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:07:15 pm »
I am new to beekeeping and am learning in order to assist villages in Southern Sudan in the methods of beekeeping.  The biggest area for assistance is construction of hives.  Any creative ways to construct hives in areas of minimal resources?  Some of you experts put your thinkin' caps on and help me help them.  Thanks in advance.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Constructing Hives in Sudan
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:41:56 pm »
It would help if we knew what kind of material you have.
Any thing with a large cavity in it could be used. Any  kind of strong strait stick could be a top bar.
Do you have any hollow logs? Cut in length 12 to 18 in long. Use any flat surface for bottom. put a hole near bottom of first log section. Another flat piece with holes in and something for the bees to hang the comb to. Second section"honey super" same as first with top. etc. so.on.so. on.
Thats what I'd do.

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 06:49:21 pm »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:04:06 pm »
In Africa I would suggest using the Kenya Top Bar Hive.  Simple and easy to construct.  If necessary you can make one out of barrel (metal, plastic, or wood) and wood slats for the frame bars.  Google Top Bar Hives (TBH).  Also, I think there is page on it at Michael Bush's site.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:19:09 pm »
is lumber an available resource?