Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making and using bee vac for first time - any advice  (Read 5082 times)

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Making and using bee vac for first time - any advice
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »
At the school where i work there is a huge hive in the copula that i am removing in the spring. I need to build a bee vac over the winter to extract the bees. 

Any advice for building it and for using it?  I have heard that too much suction can kill the bees and so I am wondering what other pitfalls there are for a first timer.

Below are some pics of the hive.  It should be easy access. 

Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Making and using bee vac for first time - any advice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »
Rob has a design on his web page and info. of a system that works great.  http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

Offline Helmuthd

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:27:28 pm »
Thats a Beautiful Hive, Wow!

I'm too new to this site, so i cannot post the link.  So, do a yahoo search for 'bee vac plans' and check out the vac on ROBO'S WORLD...nice!

also, your gonna need a bunch of swarm catch frames.  So, again...do a yahoo search for 'beehive removable swarm catching frame'.

Best of luck

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »
That hive is friggin awesome. Good luck

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:03 pm »
That hive is friggin' awesome!

Not sure if you realize it or not but you don't need a bee vac to remove that colony. If you have decided that you want to remove other colonies as well, perhaps even as a sideline then yes, consider getting/building one but for one hive or even the occasional one you do not need a bee vac to get the job done.

We can discuss other options right here if you like.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »
JP,
I realize I dont need one but I would like to build one and I thought it could come in handy here.  Perhaps there is a better way to remove this?  How would you  do it?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »
JP will amaze you with what he does
Here my Low-Tec redneck Vac

build a Box like this with screen on two sides
I need to take better Pictures some day

when you attach it all you just suck-um up into the screen box when done tape or staple screen over
Hose hole with a large hive good Idea to have more than one screen Box

You can dumpster dive the hose line or buy pool VAC lines
I take Duct tape and use it as a seal for the tote if I don't have enough vacuum
It's redneck low-tec but works  :-D

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »
Cool hive there.   I have the box and vac like everybody else, but if I had to do it all over again, I would go with one like the Bill Owens vac.  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Owens-Bee-Vac/productinfo/318/  All one piece to tote up the ladder and not having to worry about pulling the hose out of the vac or pulling the hose out of the box.   It just works easier as one single unit.  My 2 cents.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »
I'll try to make a video for you of my favorite vac in the next day or two.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:30 pm »
Allen, I've heard some negative comments on the Bill Owens vac...not sure if it was the vac or operator error though.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:21:05 pm »
What problems did the people have?   Did the vac suck?   :-D

Maybe someone who has one will chime in.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:42 pm »
He said that the suction relief wasn't adjustable enough and he ended up with a bucket of dead bees. Once again though it's hearsay.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 11:34:00 pm »
It is not too hard to change the suction on a vac.  Even if you have to alter it yourself.  I just like everything in one piece to carry around, but for now I am stuck with what I got.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 02:00:03 am »
JP,
I realize I dont need one but I would like to build one and I thought it could come in handy here.  Perhaps there is a better way to remove this?  How would you  do it?

Looks like a good bit of bees in the pictures but those numbers will likely reduce significantly come spring time. Transfer comb sections thus securing them in your frames, if a mess of bees are in your way, and they are gentle you could move them by hand or transfer via a dust pan while you are securing comb sections.

Of course all the while you are on the look out for the queen, have a hair clip queen catcher handy if/when you see her, place her on/in the new set up.

If your timing is a little off you could wind up with multiple queens. Be sure to bring several queen catchers/cages with you.

Work from the outside in leaving a few comb sections in the center, so you up your chances of her gravitating to the center.

After all comb is removed and transferred leave the new set up until dark for them to orient to.

Most all bees should be in the new set up come dark, close up the hive and transfer.

Of course this would be the ideal situation but with patience you'll get the job done, even without a bee vac.

If in the end they are clustered in a big ball at the old location (because you didn't get the queen) you could spray them with water and then transfer them with a dust pan.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 05:10:49 am »
Thanks JP,

Perhaps I will wait on the bee vac.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »
Not sure if I mentioned but I don't do any cut outs unless my smoker is lit and by my side. You can use the smoker to move bees aside to see your comb sections, this helps tremendously.

Here's one I did of an external colony attached to a porch. You can see how I move the bees aside using the smoker.

External Colony Removed From Porch

...JP

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:02 pm »
Bee vac -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

cut-out frames -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/cut-out-frames/

I really like how this one works. Im going to build one to have on hand for the upcoming year.

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »
I built one of Robo's style vacs last year. 

I have since used it 8-10 different times. I utilize 1 1/4 swimming pool hose that is 20' long. So far all I have had to pack 'up a ladder' is the hose.

As far as I am concerned, this will be the last vac I own.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

anything