Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The elegant Sir Drake, a beauty of a dude!!!  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The elegant Sir Drake, a beauty of a dude!!!
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:54:39 am »
Sir Drake has replaced Whoppo.  Sir Drake is a perfect gentleman, his girls (he has five at the moment), and the girls respect and love him, right from the very day he came.  He treats them well, and mates with such a manner, no wonder they didn't like Whoppo either.  He was bad to us all, and this makes me feel happy to have such a fine new member of our clan.  He still does that Muscovy drake hiss and the air blowing out his lungs like an old windbag, but that is not in an aggressive way, as Whoppo did.  This dude is huge too and he should throw some great looking offspring.  We have been saving eggs from his work and Cookie is brooding on 20 eggs from him.  We'll see what his children look like, the colours of the Muscovys are so different.  I will be posting pictures of the babies that are almost adult size now, their pretty colours are now showing and we have maybe two females out of the group.  That is good, because the males make such a bigger meal, hee, hee.  One of the girls is almost all white, her mother was very white with just some black on her body.  Oh gotta love the ducks!!!!

He has the strangest, but most beautiful eyes, and the lovely feathers on the top of his head when he puts them up look like a fine old gentleman with black and grey in the hair, the salt and peppery look.  I am loving Sir Drake, I only wish that Whoppo could have been so nice.  Enjoy the pictures, have that incredibly wonderful and beautiful day while you are at it.  Cindi

Sir Drake is the one in the back in this picture

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: The elegant Sir Drake, a beauty of a dude!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:46:49 pm »
What a handsome dude!  His eyes are so light. It will be interesting to see if any of his offspring have the light eyes. If so, are they are certain colors or sex?  It's so fun to watch the genetics go to work, all the differences yet always certain traits that are constant.  I love the windbag hiss.  Mr. Muscovy never did it in an aggressive way, more like a greeting with the wagging of his tail.  The hens on eggs however.. :shock:the runner hen specially...would hiss, sqawk & bite shaking your hand or fingers like a rotweiler not letting go!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: The elegant Sir Drake, a beauty of a dude!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:55:45 pm »
Jody, ya, I know about how aggressively protective the runner mothers are.  We had some last year (before they got killed by that night creature, eeks).  When they had babies, man did they protect!!!

Sir Drake does have the most intriguing eyes, that is what holds you watching him, a beauty.  We'll see what comes.  The babies that are about 2 weeks old now I think come from Whoppos genes, as are the ones in the incubator, due to hatch next Friday.  The two month old babies too are Whoppos.  The clutch that Cookie is sitting on (20 eggs) will be Sir Drake's progeny.  We usually put 12-14 eggs under the duck, but the woman who I got Sir Drake from said she puts 25 under.  I thought I would go in the middle and put 20, so we'll see.  I love the broody mother and the hissing that they make, yep, yep, baby factory here and life is good.  Have a wonderful, most beautiful day, we have a great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything