Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions (from Missouri)  (Read 2518 times)

Offline ginamikel

• Brood
Questions (from Missouri)
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »
Hi,

We just noticed that we have a bee hive in a hole in the siding of our house.  I think it's new, within the past few weeks or less.  We're interested in beekeeping.  How possible/impossible would it be to buy a beekeeping starter kit and transfer these bees to it (given we would be completely new to this)?  If it's feasible, is there a source to purchase equipment & supplies in/near St. Louis, Missouri.

Thanks for any help.

Gina

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Questions (from Missouri)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »
First, welcome to the forum.   Yes you can remove the bees and raise them, but it will take some study work on your part.   You can learn more about removals here on the forum.   With bee suppliers, I am sure there are one in town for you, but I do not know which or where.   Check out this link for mail order.  http://www.dadant.com/contact

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:46:53 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You can also check into a local bee club.  They may have a member that sells supplies, and they may also have a beek that will help with getting the bees out of house and into hive.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline ginamikel

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:12:23 pm »
I found a post online about this.  The person said the following:
     "You should buy "drawn" frames from a beekeeper. This will give you a more likely scenario for getting the bees into the hive box."
Can you tell me what "drawn frames" are?

I looked at Dadant.  Is the "beginner kit no 1" about all I would need to purchase?

Thanks for the feedback.

Gina

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »
you can't buy them.  they are made by the bees  :-D

the best way to get that hive out is to tear into the wall.  otherwise, you are talking about doing a trap out.  this leaves you with bees (if you have the right stuff to do the trap out) and no queen.  then you have to buy the queen, introduce her,....

read the stuff on cutouts.  check with local beekeepers to see if someone is willing to help you out or if there is a local bee club or store that can get you going in the right direction.

i would advise against the beginners kit as it will have stuff you don't want and not enough of what you do.  there are some posts about what equipment you need.  a search should turn them up.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:06:46 am »
That is exactly how I got started in beekeeping six years and fifty hives ago...........but you need a mentor. What you propose is an excellent way to get started but will be almost impossible without some experienced help. Use the search function of this forum, read, study and ask questions. The bees will keep until you are ready. 

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »
I second Steven's advice and were I closer I would be more than glad to assist. Check out the bees removal sub forum for some great videos to getvyou pointed in the right direction.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:40:45 pm »
Hi, and how exciting to get "selected" by the honeybees! So cool!

Offline tben

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:44 am »
YouTube is a great place to begin learning about bees. Outofabluesky has
posted some good ones. His website is Learning Beekeeping and there are several videos of cutouts on his YouTube channel.