Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is the end of february too early to try a split?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Is the end of february too early to try a split?
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »
They are flying any chance they get. We had a HUGE orientation today and lots of drones. 

Can I try a split in a week?  Should I move the queen or just take some frames?

Whaddayathink?

love,
ziffa

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Is the end of february too early to try a split?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:20 pm »
where have you been?   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:05 pm »
will you have a new queen that early?  if not, do you have drones yet?  how full of bees is the hive?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:30 pm »
I set my swarms traps out the first or second week of March every year.  Seems like we get swarms by mid to late march.  That is the earliest they split naturally.  If you are feeding and pushing them to grow, go for it.  Keeping them from freezing would be my only concern.  But I think it could be done just as long as you have drones and an insulated hive and enough bee numbers. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:35:49 pm »
Make a 5 or more frame split, take the queen to the new location, and go for it.

And as Kathy noted, you have been gone too long. Don't let it happen again.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:06 am »
 :-D  I know!  Last year sucked!  But I'm baaaa-aaack!!!!  Got into the girls last weekend and they are soooo awesome!! Sweet as candy and calm! I was worried cuz they got a little b*%&y last fall during the dearth (or maybe cuz they had been sooo neglected last summer) and I was afraid i might need to requeen.  But life is back under control (for them and me) and I am pumped for some good bee action!

I missed you guys and you don't know how often I lurked and thought of you!

two of the hives are packed.  one is pretty small, but there are eggs and brood in all of them and they all have food.  I've been open feeding on the warm days and dropped a frame of honey into the small one that I had frozen over the winter (the honey, not the hive).    Only saw one actual queen - from the Mississippi Queens hive - but boy was she beautiful!  That's the hive I'm thinking of splitting.  Maybe I should wait til March first as the fence is going in next weekend so we have to close them all up for the workers.  Though maybe that would be good.  Ohhhh I'm so excited!! 

I also bought a queen making frame and cups and I so want to try! but I don't know what to do with the queens if i'm successful.  I really only have room for one more hive, and that's pushing it. I have to start recruiting neighbors i think!!

Oh look! I'm rambling again :D.  So good to be back in the hive! 

Kathy, lurking and working mostly!   :-\  and Iddee - Sorry sir, I'll do my best  <3  :imsorry:  :D 

love love love,
ziffa

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:22:26 pm »
ziff i sure hope you and the hippy boy can make it over this yr, you got drones and only ned one more hive just cut her in half and do a walkaway. you will be fine
we need our swarm dance and your enthusiasm
to bee or not to bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:58:04 pm »
Yep, sure would be nice to see y'all at Bud's this year!

We (Ian and I) just started our splits today. We got a real late start so only got 23 done but we're shooting for 70 tomorrow. Queen cells will be ripe on Sun.

It's best to wait for mature drones (not just drone brood) and a flow sure helps. We never went without drones here this year and citrus is just opening up.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907