Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Same colony?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Same colony?
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »
Did a removal this weekend, two day job.
There is two active colonies, possibly three. Here's where I'd like to hear your opinion on if it's the same as the main colony or not.

See the photo.
Center, where you see the "hole" is where the main colony lived. Upper left corner is the edge of the roof, that’s where the swam moved into. Now, bottom right you see tons of honey. That’s the potential third colony but here’s the thing. We found honey and pollen stored there but didn’t find any brood and not too many bees. Not exactly sure why this part was about 2 feet away from the center colony, no combs inbetween that would join them as you can see an empty exposed soffit setion. My guess would be a queenless colony or it was part of the main colony.

Your thoughts?

More details and photos on my blog: http://losaltoshoneybees.wordpress.com/

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Re: Same colony?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »
They need a new roof.  :-D

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:19 pm »
Don, have you seen a roof with drywall being used???? I found that odd.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »
Don, have you seen a roof with drywall being used???? I found that odd.

We see it here in commercial jobs, code for a Fire Retardent Barrier.

Looks likes it was a big job Jack, how do you keep honey from running everwhere when you pull up the roof sheathing and the combs tear? Are you able to get drop cloths under it? I've got 2 bay windows coming up where I sure would like to be able to remove them from the top if possible.

Don

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:38:17 pm »
I have never seen drywall under roof shingles.   Looks like maybe they used it to level out the roof boards for the shakes?   They diffidently need a new roof.  What shape was the rest of the house in?