Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted Bottom Board Question  (Read 3462 times)

Offline rottybee

• New Bee
Slatted Bottom Board Question
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:29 am »
I am gonna build a couple of slatted bottom boards and looking over the plans, I see there is one wide slat and then a bunch of narrow slats.  My question is this:  If this sits between the bottom board and the first hive body, why would you want the wide slat?  Seems like all the slats should be narrow.  I don't think I can post a link so the plans can be found at beesource.com.  I'm gonna sign off for now but I'll check back later for answers.
Thanks as always!

Offline rottybee

• New Bee
Re: Slatted Bottom Board Question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »
well, just checkin' back in and don't see any replies.  Surely someone has to have a reply. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »
The wide slat sits toward the open end of the bottom board. It is there to prevent drafts at the entrance ,therefore encouraging the queen to lay all the way to the front of the lower frames.

Offline rottybee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:49:09 pm »
The wide slat sits toward the open end of the bottom board. It is there to prevent drafts at the entrance ,therefore encouraging the queen to lay all the way to the front of the lower frames.

OK, I can see that.  I was just curious.  My table saw is hot and waiting to finish this thing and I couldn't see the logic in it.  Thanks as always. 
PS.....More questions to come.... :-D

Offline ccar2000

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »
I also believe the wide slat near the front creates a sense of security as well. The queen does not have to worry about herself or her brood getting snatched up by an intruder that close to the entrance. I am using a parallel slatted rack from Betterbee you can find it in their on-line catalog (sorry, I do not yet have enough posting history to give the link) For me the brood nest was filled right to the bottom and end to end on the middle frames.
It is what it is

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »
Supposed to reduce robbing the intruders have to go way into the hive to get honey, not just duck under the lip of the brood box.