Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member / New BeeKeeper  (Read 3469 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
New Member / New BeeKeeper
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:04:01 pm »
Hello all,

I've been working up to becoming a bee keeper for about 2 years now (reading about it, warning my wife, etc) and now I'm ready to take the plunge.  I made a great deal on some equipment at a yard sale a couple of months ago, and I have a Christmas gift earmarked for the purchase of a package of bees.  So, I have everything that I need except hive bodies (which I plan to build), a veil, and bees. 

And One Other Thing - I'm still trying to decide if I should dive right in with foundationless like I want to (and just sell all those frames and foundation that I have) or go the tried and true mainstream route.

So here I am...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: New Member / New BeeKeeper
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »
Welcome to the forums. There are countless post about going foundationless here so just do a search in the search bar. Ive been here for about two years and have received so much information. Everyone here is great to chat with and gain information from. If you update your profile, location, maybe there are some other beekeepers close to you which can help. Enjoy the forums as I have!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41:46 pm »
Welcome!You will become addicted like the rest of us! I am sort of new too.  Mine are going through their 1st winter.  If you go foundationless there is no time like the present.  That way you can know there are no meds or residue in the foundation from the start, specially if you don't know where or what was done to the equipment you bought.  You can probably clean out the frames unless wired & maybe even then.  There are pros & cons to every method, read up & do what feels right to you.  I started on small cell foundation in the broodbox, & as they started storing honey I used starter sticks from my wedge frames.  Now I have comb that I can start my new packages on this spring,  they can make their own for storage. I do crush & strain though so don't really know how foundationless works in extractors.(Others will chime in here! :-D)  Again welcome, there is more info & opinions here than you will know what to do with !!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »
David, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  You will now have a place to ask those questions, to tell your stories and tales, experiences.  We love to listen, and we love to speak.  Here also you will make some new friends, stick around.  Have a most wonderful and awesome life, day, and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 05:38:10 pm »
@Shawn - thanks, it took me a bit to figure out how to update my profile.  Turns out you have to log out and back at least once to be able to do it.  I think.

@Poka-bee - The hive equipment that I bought (frames, foundation, queen excluders, etc) is all unused, so no worries about residue. I would prefer to just use top bars I think, I just don't want to open the hive a week after installing my very first bees and find the comb running perpendicular. I guess I just lack confidence.

@Cindi - Thanks for the welcome.

Happy New Year to all.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:07:21 pm »
@Shawn - thanks, it took me a bit to figure out how to update my profile.  Turns out you have to log out and back at least once to be able to do it.  I think.

@Poka-bee - The hive equipment that I bought (frames, foundation, queen excluders, etc) is all unused, so no worries about residue. I would prefer to just use top bars I think, I just don't want to open the hive a week after installing my very first bees and find the comb running perpendicular. I guess I just lack confidence.

@Cindi - Thanks for the welcome.

Happy New Year to all.
Heh Heh, my light green girls are quite creative, even with frames & foundation!   :? :shock:  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:21 pm »
Foundationless uses frames just lvery little if any foundation.  If you want to maximize your expenses so far melt some of the foundation into wax and use it to seat 1 inch wide strips into the notch of the top bar.  With such a starter strip the bees will get to work and quickly draw out comb, faster than they would if you used full sheets of foundation.  Pulling a frame and seeing the bees festooned across the full length of the frame, building comb is a neat sight.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:16:46 pm »
If you want to maximize your expenses so far melt some of the foundation into wax and use it to seat 1 inch wide strips into the notch of the top bar.  With such a starter strip the bees will get to work and quickly draw out comb, faster than they would if you used full sheets of foundation.

Brian, that's a good idea. Thanks.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:22:00 pm »
Hello and Welcome David
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:25:31 am »
Thanks Johnny,  I've already learned a lot by looking around and running a few searches.  As a matter of fact I've already taken some actual action. 

I've placed my order for a package of Italian bees, and I got busy in the shop working on my wooden ware.  I have a couple of cases of brand new deep frames that I got a deal on a while back. But I've decided to go with 8 frame mediums, so I cut down enough to fill 4 hive bodies to get started.  I also cut down the one body that I already have to an 8 frame medium.  Plenty more to do before May, but I bet it's like waiting for Christmas when I was 10.

Dave   

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
Hi David,
      Welcome, I just joined a short time ago too and this site is the most valuable resource you will lfind out there to start beekeeping.
It looks like you and I have the exact same plan, 8 frame mediums, foundationless frames etc.
I just ordered my nucs and I feel the same way about the waiting.
The good thing is it gives you all that extra time to prepare.
Good luck with it. :)

anything