Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic or glass?  (Read 6963 times)

Violacea

Plastic or glass?
« on: January 28, 2005, 03:39:45 pm »
What kind of material is your green house made out of?  Does using glass keep it warmer then if you use plastic?  And I mean hard plastic, not the rolled stuff.  

We moved here last May, and I was so happy the new house came with a green house, something I've always wanted, but it's in really poor shape.  I'm just trying to figure out what will cover it best, and hopefully what will be the most inexpensive.  Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Plastic or glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:47:38 pm »
glass keeps it warmer, say you have 2 green houses, one of glass and one of plastic. When light and warmth enter the glass it dosnt make it back out, when made of plastic it gets out and at a relly fast pace. So glass is a little more $$$ but it is better, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Plastic or glass?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:10:23 pm »
Quote from: Violacea
What kind of material is your green house made out of?  Does using glass keep it warmer then if you use plastic?  And I mean hard plastic, not the rolled stuff.  

If you want warm keeping plastic it will be proferrional green house plastic , as we say cell plate. But it is expencive. .

Also glass is expencive, but you can get it without money if you ask it from firm, which change windows to houses. You just cut proper size plates from used.

Glass house must be pretty. You just make your own size and with your frames and you install standard shape glass pane in it.

Also you can try if you get ready to use glass house frame elements from the firm (without glasses.)

http://www.barretts-leisure.co.uk/Greenhouse%20mnu.htm

.[/quote]

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Plastic or glass?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 07:04:27 pm »
I forgot to ask, did you get all the info you needed? There are some great books on the subject, just go to your local book store, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Violacea

Plastic or glass?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 03:01:42 am »
I've already raided the libraries, but they had zilch. To low on $$ for bookstores.  I really like Finman's idea, but not sure we can make it work as the framing is already established.  We'll work out something though.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Plastic or glass?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:32:01 am »
good luck, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Plastic or glass?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:43:31 am »
I used the hard greenhouse roofing material for building my two chicken brooders, and I was surprized that they do retain heat pretty well.

I'm sure glass could do better, but just letting you know that plastic greenhouse roofing does have the ability to retain heat. And the cost is easier to swallow.

Beth

Violacea

Plastic or glass?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 02:17:34 am »
Quote from: Beth Kirkley
I used the hard greenhouse roofing material for building my two chicken brooders, and I was surprized that they do retain heat pretty well.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I know I can afford that stuff, so if I can't find a way to use glass, that's probably what I'll end up using.

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Plastic or glass?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 03:00:18 am »
Sliding glass door's make great green house glass.  Most of the time you can get them for free from people that have taken them down the glass is a odd size It's is like 7' 3" x 3' 8" but when you take the door apart you end up with 4 sections of glass.  We did a sun room and it worked out great.