Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Didn't want to hijack Shawn's spearmint thread  (Read 4649 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Didn't want to hijack Shawn's spearmint thread
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:29:49 am »
   Unless this may belong there.  But here goes.  I Planted a pot of spearmint in the fall two years ago and it bloomed and took over the flower bed last year.  Taste and smell were great.  This year it has a non spearmint taste and just barely a spearmint smell.  Does anyone know what happened?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Didn't want to hijack Shawn's spearmint thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:10:26 am »
The only thing I can think of is that it crossed with something else.
Is it still too early in the season maybe?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:11:38 am »
There are some, (flower) plants that have the same name as the real thing.
I was looking for some sweet potato plants and found the "flower" variety.
I have had my spearmint for twenty years and it is still the same, never changed.
No clue as to why it should change. :)doak

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:32:24 pm »
 :'( great now I have something else to worry about. Mine is only in its second year and its still good. I do believe the second batch I got this year is a different mint so Im planting it out arond the beehives to keep it seperate.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:09:30 pm »
different kinds of mint will readily cross pollinate and the resulting hybrids could smell completely different.  They might smell good or not.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »
   Well then I may have to consider ripping up the mint and replanting.  I think first I'll see there is anything around that may cause the hybrid change and check and see if soil composition may have an effect.  I may have to sweeten or sour the soil or more Garners Goop (compost).  Thanks for giving me these options to work with.  I appreciate you guys!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:05 am »
Here are some tips from The Herb Companion on growing mint, and some more from Mountain Valley Growers, a big supplier of all things mint.  Be sure to follow the link at the bottom of the second page about repotting mint.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:00:33 pm »
Mint typically spreads by the roots, similar to oregano and thyme.  I doubt cross pollination is the problem.

Although it sounds somewhat unlikely per your description,  it is possible that you may have a look-alike weed in there.  I've got some weeds around that look very similar to spearmint or peppermint but don't smell or taste.  The particular weed I'm talking about (I think it may be a type of "selfheal") is more agresive than spearmint, beleive it or not....

Rick
Rick

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »
Thanks reinbeau for the links. Quite interesting.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 02:40:44 am »
   Thanks!  I added them to my favorites!