Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about my tree  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:08:45 pm »
Hey everyone, this year i believe around March i planted a seed of a peach in a pot in my house, and in about a month it came out .. so for about 2-3 months it was in my pot and early summer or mid summer i believe i planted it in the ground... SO it is living right in my backyard and everything is ok... but i know its still small and winter is coming...

the size is only about 3 feet off the ground and its very thin.. but it has many leaves :)...

so iam thinking what would i do to make sure it doesnt freeze in winter time?
please help me, iam new to this kind of stuff and will listen to advice and do anything possible to make my tree go through my cold winter here in New Jersey

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:29:52 pm »
One of the ways we protect our small trees for a couple of years is to rake up a pile of leaves and place about a foot over the whole small tree and then wrap the whole pile in old burlap sacking. The leaves along with any snow cover you might get will help to protect the small branches and the cover will allow the root t freeze slowly instead of fast

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

manowar422

Question about my tree
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 08:29:36 pm »
what would i do to make sure it doesnt freeze in winter time?

I think Jacmar is right about the roots needing protection
from freezing temps.

This garden expert is very well respected here in Texas.
visit this link for some info that may help, I think the
watering mentioned on his website is also important.

http://www.neilsperry.com/maq_single.cfm?id=134

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 10:04:53 am »
Quote from: Jacmar
One of the ways we protect our small trees for a couple of years is to rake up a pile of leaves and place about a foot over the whole small tree and then wrap the whole pile in old burlap sacking. The leaves along with any snow cover you might get will help to protect the small branches and the cover will allow the root t freeze slowly instead of fast

Jack

i think that is what iam going to do, i will post pictures of my tree without the leaves and how it is right now, than i'll post with the leaves when more leaves come donw ofcourse ;) and i'll post more pictures...

Offline mark

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 09:52:36 pm »
here in new jersey you don't need to do anything for it. it should survive the winter fine.  if you pile leave around the tree it could cause mold at the ground level and rot the bark. it may also give rodents a hiding place with a free meal of peach tree bark.  for wind protection you can place a wire cage around and wrap burlap. the cage should not touch the bark. two inches of mulch will help protect  the roots from too much freeze and thaw.  when mulching any tree to keep weeds down think donuts not volcanoes.  mulch should not touch the bark.

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 02:15:12 pm »
ok mark, i understand exactly what i should do , but before i do anything, i want to post pictures of my tree, for you to see how small it is. than maybe we can come up with a final solution, of what to do..

i'll try posting pictures tonight after i come home from work

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Question about my tree
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 08:52:56 pm »
Most peaches don't survive that far North.  Gurneys sells (at least they used to) some Northern Peach trees.  But most of the peaches you buy in the store would not be them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 01:07:21 pm »
hey everyone iam back, sorry i didnt post for a long time that is because i got really sick with a flue, which developed an absess in my throat and i had to get that removed in the hospital.. so ye this week was kinda slow for me..

but finally iam back and here are the pictures of my tree tell me what you think i should really do to keep my precious over the winter :).....

manowar422

Question about my tree
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 01:54:32 pm »
Make sure the soil around the base is loose and well mulched.
Deep water the area 3-4' around the trunk until the frost line
makes that impossible.
Cover the tree with a framework and put a cover over that.
Your tree will probably not survive to ever produce fruit,
but I'll keep good thoughts...

Hope your feeling better, sorry to hear of your illness.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Question about my tree
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 07:05:20 pm »
I built a cage like I would for tommatoes and covered it with clear plastic and put it over one of are small trees, it is like 5 or so feet tall. Then I took 4 stakes and put one north, east, south, and west about 6 feet from the cage and tied string from the cage to the stakes, this will stop it from blowing over in strong winter winds. The plastic will let heat come in and stay in. If I where you I would also put like 6 inches of leaves in the bottom too, o yeah, dont make the cage to big or it wont hold heat as easy. Good luck  :D
Ryan Horn

anything