Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sowing Digitalis  (Read 3120 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Sowing Digitalis
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:27:01 pm »
Does anyone have experience with getting seeds to germinate. When I ordered "16" Digitalis seeds I expected to get 16 bulbs or seeds of the plants I had bought. Instead I got 16 packets of 20 seeds for each. I now have potentially 320 plants. The directions say to chill for 3 weeks and lightly sprinkle over soil. They will need complete darkness (for now) so I should simple poke them into the ground. The directions also mention the Bag method and I should use pie pans and mix tooth picks in with the soil and I just don't understand any of this. 

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Sowing Digitalis
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:43:06 pm »
Its easier to broadcast the seeds on prepared ground in the fall. Our area, early december. Reserve some for late spring and repeat around mid-april. Insures greater germination in case of failure. I hate stratifying in the frig. Too many steps from seed to flower. If I remember correctly, foxglove flowers biannually, so you might not get flowers this year no matter which method used
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:40:21 pm »
I would prefer them in the ground this year so they maybe flower the next. I don't think it would be harmful to plant them this late.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:27 pm »
I thought I would try to grow grapes from seeds.  Knowing that many plants require a bite of cold in order to effectively germinate I planted the the seeds I saved from a bunch of Red Globe Grapes in small pots last fall.  I watered them and then set them out where the rain, snow, sleet, ice, and sun could do their thing all winter.  Just as I was begining to dispare the weather warmed up enough to germinate the seeds and I now have about a dozen grape starts growing.  I'm hoping that several servive long enough to transplant on the arbor with the Seedless Thompson and the Early Campbell as Red Globes are my favorite eating grape. 

With most vegetiable seeds I just put them in the refrigerator for a week and then plant, but some of the more difficult seeds to germinate require a longer treatment and even colder temperatures.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:38:56 pm »
I'm not sure I want these now. I've read that the entire plant is a poison and it's common for cats and dogs to die after eating them. Children die after drinking water on the leaves, adults mistaking them for another plant and making tea out of them. I have 5 cats and 2 dogs, all of which I love greatly. My source is Wikipedia and I know they're not the best place for info but can anyone tell me the information is bad? Does anyone have them and keep pets happily together?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:57:35 pm »
I've had dogs, kids and foxgloves and have never, ever had (or heard of) a single problem.  Don't let your kids be in the garden without supervision, and teach them to never, ever put a plant in their mouth that they haven't checked with you on.  Cats eat foxgloves?  I don't think so.  Some of this 'dangerous plant' stuff out there is ridiculous.  Whatever you do don't let your kids eat tomato leaves (potato leaves, eggplant leaves, I could go on and on!  Highly toxic.  Does that mean you're not going to grow them?  No, just educate your family members and watch the children closely!

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:17 pm »
Well I also have Catmint and I was hoping to have the Digitalis behind it. My cats love to roll around in the stuff and I do sometimes see them sniff and rub against it. Also I have a clumsy dog who can't help but eat every little thing in sight. She's getting better about it and knows not to mess with anything i have in the garden, especially with a fence around it. But she's getting bigger and it's going to get expensive to raise the fences.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:49:55 am »
Digitalis is a heart drug for erratic heart arythmia's (sp?) and such. I dont worry about my dog eating plants, he just doesn't.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:24:26 pm »
Alright well I'll plant them all, (planning to give away or sell a lot,) and see what happens. Thanks for all your support.

anything