Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mystery Honey from semi-arid desert cutout  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Mystery Honey from semi-arid desert cutout
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:26:54 pm »
I just did a marathon 2 day  cutout at our old family farm in Central Texas. But I'll put that in another post in "honeybee removal".

One hive that was in a barrel had the lightest honey I've ever seen. The capped honey was very runny and had a clear/light amber color. Good taste.

It was in Runnels county. The prickly pear were blooming and the 90 acres is heavily forested with mesquite tree.  So I assume its one of the two. However, the area also has willow trees by the river, buffalo beans, small patches of indian brushes and there is a hay field but it had been cut so unknown grass.

Anybody know what this may be? Its good.

Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
Re: Mystery Honey from semi-arid desert cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:10:01 pm »
I'm thinking its mesquite at this point. light amber, runny like water.  Any ideas?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:44:38 pm »
I don't know what it could be but your county extension office might.

If you like the honey I would keep some hives there and enjoy. 

If you want a second opinion on its quality taste and color just send some to Carolina, I'll be glad to help ya' out.   :)

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:05 am »
It sounds like mesquite, but what you described could also be willow...

My entire crop last year was like that - clear, yellow to very pale amber, and tasty.  I am kicking myself for not investigating what was blooming during that flow.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:01 am »
It sounds like mesquite, but what you described could also be willow...

My entire crop last year was like that - clear, yellow to very pale amber, and tasty.  I am kicking myself for not investigating what was blooming during that flow.

Can Willow honey be very thin bodied that its runny like sugar water? Isn't it supposed to have  a slight bitter taste to it?