Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic frames  (Read 4545 times)

Offline T.Smith

• New Bee
Plastic frames
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:03:14 pm »
I am thinking about using some of the all plastic frames pierco, rite cell etc.  I have been using wood frames with plastic foundation but am thinking that the all plastic may be more durable. Any suggestions on this subject  and brand  to use.   By the way I use all deeps.     Thanks Tracy

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: Plastic frames
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
I am thinking about using some of the all plastic frames pierco, rite cell etc.  I have been using wood frames with plastic foundation but am thinking that the all plastic may be more durable. Any suggestions on this subject  and brand  to use.   By the way I use all deeps.     Thanks Tracy

I bought a bunch of the all plastic standard frames from Mann Lake, and this year decided to go to the Assembled wooden frames with rite-cell foundation.  I have found that MY bees seem to take to the plastic foundation with wood frames, much better than they take to the all plastic.  Just my thoughts.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »
I have been using all plastic pf120's from Mann lake and I love them. Some say to put on extra wax before use but I haven't had to. I am about to order more. I am also going to experiment with foundationless.

Alfred

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »
If you care about cell size, acceptance and price, the Mann Lake PF100 series is hard to beat.  I run all mediums so I have all PF120s.  But I have one PF100 here for measurement purposes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »
I use the Mann Lake PF-100 and have had good luck with them.  The bees take to them quickly, and they have been quite durable.  My only tip is to keep them clearn before putting them in the hive.  My experience is that if there is dirt on them, the bees will not use that portion of the frame.
Brian

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:05:59 pm »
I use all Mann-Lake 120 plastic frames I'm very well satisfied with them and will soon order more.

Two hints;
Remove them from shipping box and let them air out for several days in the sun
Paint a thin coat of additional wax.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:30:32 pm »
My personal experience is that the all plastic frames (pierco, not HSC) are very flimsy and twist a lot when full of honey and brood.  With this, and the fact that my frame grips don't work particularly well with them has casued me to drop many more than wooden frames.   My preference wood be wood frames with plastic foundation over the all plastic frames.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »
I like the PF-120s.  I have Pierco too. 

My personal experience is that the all plastic frames (pierco, not HSC) are very flimsy and twist a lot when full of honey and brood

Personally, I haven't noticed this.

With this, and the fact that my frame grips don't work particularly well with them has casued me to drop many more than wooden frames.

Yeah, this is an issue.

I also notice they build more burr comb on the tops of the plastic frames than they do the wooden frames.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:27:21 pm »
My personal experience is that the all plastic frames (pierco, not HSC) are very flimsy and twist a lot when full of honey and brood.  With this, and the fact that my frame grips don't work particularly well with them has casued me to drop many more than wooden frames.   My preference wood be wood frames with plastic foundation over the all plastic frames.

I've noticed the flimsiness too with the PF-100's, but it isn't a huge deal. 
I got some PF-520's cheap, and they are far more sturdy, although the cell size is slightly larger.

Rick
Rick

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:44:11 pm »
I use my frame grip all the time never had a problem with them. Can't compare though since all I have used is the pf120's
Alfred

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »
I use my frame grip all the time never had a problem with them.

I guess I should clarify.  The pierco frames don't fit the cast aluminum ergo frame grips (the only grip worth owning in my opinion :-D )  Can't speak for the PF frames, but does work fine with HSC frames.

rob...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »
I have found plastic frames to be durable, but not well-accepted, at least by my bees. My experience is that they use it as a last resort, so I am gradually pulling it out.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:03 pm »
I use the frame grip from betterbee. I can see how the other design might not work as well with the plastic frames.
Alfred

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 07:40:00 pm »
So a lot of people talk about the PF120 and like them. How are they different than the Pierco frames from Betterbee. I have the Pierco because they come in the hive kit and one hive does not like them, one is slow at building on them, the third loves them.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:44:03 pm »
I notice no difference in quality however Mr. Bush's website states the PF100/PF120s are a wee bit smaller than the Pierco.  I buy the PF100/120s now instead of the Pierco for this reason.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 06:53:02 pm »
5.25mm for pierco and 4.95mm for PF100s.  In bee terms that's pretty significant.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:57 pm »
In bee terms that's pretty significant.

True that! 
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 03:52:44 am »
5.25mm for pierco and 4.95mm for PF100s.  In bee terms that's pretty significant.

Does that mean bees need to be regressed when moving from Dadant plasticell (5.4 I think) to the PF-100?

Perhaps this can explain the differing results as to how well the PF-100 is accepted.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:07 pm »
I did not notice this.  I put PF-100 over a deep of large cell, and the bees drew out the plastic frames just fine.  I slowly culled the large cell out of the bottom deep and replaced it with the plastic and had no real trouble with the bees accepting it. (I have much of that pf-100 in a freezer now due to errors in other aspects of my beekeeping). 
Brian

anything