Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lime on ground around Bee Hive  (Read 4318 times)

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
Lime on ground around Bee Hive
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:33:17 pm »
I've recently been told to place lime on the ground around my hives to keep Fire ants and mites out. Has anyone else had experience of this and if so does it really work ???

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Lime on ground around Bee Hive
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:06:56 pm »
Hey Steve!
 I dont know about lime around the hives for Fire ants. I dont think It'll hurt anything but dont take my answer for gospel.
 I use Amdro fire ant bait. You've seen it at walmart i bet.Now, like I just mentioned a second ago My answer isnt gospel on this either but i didnt see the bees getting in it or eating it or anything like that, and my bees havent been sick either. I just chucked it around my hive stand area(my hives are off the ground about 18 inches) and it appeared to get rid of the ants(I only use it for fire ants as I have Horney toads here and they eat the other bigger ants.I dont want to poison the horney toads.There will be more advice from other people for you here real soon too!
Oh yeh,...I'll go ahead and tell you this before anybody else does on this forum(makes me feel important.....hee hee).  Go ahead into your profile and change your location from hopelessly lost to where you really live. This makes it easier for people here to give you the correct advice on bees for the area where you live.(unless you're a mass murderer or organ harvester or something like that)
 Good luck, and I hope you like this place...We all do!!
your friend,
john

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:30:02 am »
Thanks I've now done that

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:20:58 pm »
Lime will do nothing for the mites.  I don't have any idea if it will help with SHB.  I also don't know about fire ants.  Around here, it will make your grass greener...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:45:47 pm »
Thanks for the advise...

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:42:48 pm »
I Have the worst ants in the world.They over run 4 hives of mine last August.
What works for me is boaric acid(borax) around the hive 1 part grape jelly 1part
boric acid mix well put were the ants live they eat they die.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon