Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new pictures - need your input  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
Re: new pictures - need your input
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »
I don't remember exactly when the first frost is as I haven't paid this much attention to exact dates before.
I imagine first front would be later in September.
Here is a pic of that middle frame we took out. Like I said above, those large blobs of honey were actually some brood about to hatch and only 2 or three tiny larvae. If I knew there was brood in there I wouldn't have touched it.
We are currently straining by hand!!!! as we weren't prepared to be doing this just yet, but we wanted to make room in the hive until we got our facts straight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh Canada!

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »
Sometimes I learn the most from reading others posts. This has been very helpful to me also as Im in MN. Thanks for the info on not harvesting after the goldenrod blooms tbeek in Wisc.. That was something I needed to know but didnt think to ask.
Algonam, Im also a first year newbee. I think your doing really well this year! Great pics. Congrats on the honey harvest.
Im going out on a limb here.....that last pic suggests to me that your frames are not tightly fitting against each other. If they arent tight against one another it allows the bees to make fatter comb to fill in the space. Squeeze those puppies together.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 04:35:24 pm »
stella, the bees tend to build honey comb out much farther than brood comb.  if we have drawn comb, we sometimes use fewer frames in the honey supers for that reason.  if they draw it out farther it's much easier to uncap.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:20 pm »
>Im going out on a limb here.....that last pic suggests to me that your frames are not tightly fitting against each other. If they arent tight against one another it allows the bees to make fatter comb to fill in the space.

Good observation stella ---- learning quickly :) Squeeze them together when starting with new foundation  and make corrections as you go if needed. Foundation between two uncapped frames usually leads to a mess in honey supers, if capped different story.

Looks as though you could possibly have started out a ten frame box of foundation with nine frames. But you are running all deeps probably had ten in the box. Start a box of foundation with ten frames and drop back to nine later with drawn comb (for honey supers). I've tried to count frames on your other pics but can't tell.

The brood was most likely drone comb because they often fill in extra space and cracks with drones. No harm in removing the frames. Losing a little brood in a case like this in ok.

Nice clear honey, mine is always dark in SC. Any idea of primary source-Nice pics ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:21:43 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »
SC Bee,

I've had 10 frames per box since day 1.(Last week of May, this Spring)
 I did ask about 9 frames at one point though. These 2nd level boxes were only put on 3 weeks ago. Yes light honey, looks like Corona beer!
Primary source? Do you mean where did I get the nucs? A queen breeder in Port Hope, Ontario. I can dig out his name if you want it, just let me know if that is what you meant.
 So, please tell me what to do with the frame I've scraped clean.
I scraped it clean with a spatula, down to the foundation which is now sticky with honey leftovers. Should I just let it harden and then re-install it into the hive when I am putting on the 3rd level of boxes?

Oh Canada!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:14 pm »
put it in as is.  the bees will clean it up and redraw it. put it in your 2nd box next to the one you just put in and put that frame of honey that you pull (from an end) in your new box.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:27 pm »
OK...great idea! You are a wealth of information!
Maybe one day I'll have enough experience to help someone like you all are helping me.

Oh Canada!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 07:26:58 pm »
most of what i learned, i learned here from people who were willing to teach me.  everything else i learn from screwing things up   :evil:

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
Primary source? Do you mean where did I get the nucs? A queen breeder in Port Hope, Ontario. I can dig out his name if you want it, just let me know if that is what you meant.

Primary nectar source.

Offline Picobrew

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:03 am »
 X:X
most of what i learned, i learned here from people who were willing to teach me.  everything else i learn from screwing things up   :evil:

This would make a perfect quote for a signature tag line.
I think cayenne, I think cayenne.

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:40 am »
Oh....Primary food source!! :-\

From what I could tell it is Loose Strife-wildflowers, or that and other wild flowers and trees. Some wild strawberries and lots of raspberries, but they didn't produce much this year. It is a mixture of old fields and mixed bush, with a bit of swamp in the gulleys.
Only 10 houses on my road that is 2 miles long, so not many gardens/flower gardens.
No commercial farms in the area, nor any working crop farms. 1 horse farm.
Pretty much wilderness.....

Oh Canada!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:21 am »
fireweed around?

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 01:23:23 pm »
I just googled fireweed, and it looks like loose strife. If they aren't the same plant we may also have that too...

Oh Canada!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
just asking because fireweed is blooming at this time and it's a popular plant for the bees.  people like the honey. 

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 03:31:17 pm »
I just checked on them again this morning. This time it was at 6:30am before the sun hit them. One hive was thriving, almost overflowing. I put a 3rd box on.
The other hive is the one where I took the frame of honey on Sunday and replaced it with a new frame of foundation. This hive was very quiet with only a few bees in it. Looked like hundreds of bees instaed of thousands. Either they swarmed and buzzed off or I did something very wrong....
The frame I installed on Sunday hadn't been touched yet, even though it was placed in the center between other frames with honey and capping.
Even though I found this, I still installed the 3rd box with frames/foundation.
Any thoughts?

Oh Canada!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
If they don't need it for storage or it is not in the brood chamber next to brood they will not draw it. They see it as a waste of energy and reserves.

As for the population of the low hive --- time to evaluate if it is not thriving as the other. This is why folks tell everyone to start with two hive and not one. You have a comparison.
- Is the population definitely different from 4 days ago?
-Did you enter the brood chamber and check for swarm cells?
-Can you find a queen?
-Can you see eggs not hatched if can not find queen?
- Are eggs standing up or lying down in cell (standing up queen present within 48 hrs?
- Do you have brood of all ages or just capped brood?

Just some of the questions to ask.

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »
Oh, very good questions...that make sense.
They aren't closeby....I hope to go back to check again tomorrow .....and will post findings.

Oh Canada!