Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: California White Leghorns  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
California White Leghorns
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:37:47 pm »
My wife and I were out picking up a few things from the feed store.  They had some California White Leghorn Chicks. My wife and I are considering getting a few chickens after the new year. I had heard Buff Orpingtons are good. But I was curious about these leghorn chickens. So does anybody have any? And what are they like? How is their temperment? How skitish are they? How good of egg layers are they?

I am sure I could look this stuff up but I would rather hear from the voices of experience.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: California White Leghorns
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:32:14 pm »
White leghorns are considered the premier comercial egg producing chicken in the USA--At least it had been post WWII until the 1980's.  It lays a nice white shelled eggs.  Most of the white eggs in the supermarkets in my area are from white Leghorns.  Commercially eggs are produced in caged birds w/o roosters.
Buff Orpingtons are a good duel (egg/meat) purpose bird a bit larger than the Leghorn.  The Orpingtons lay larger sized brown eggs.  The only chickens rated larger in size than the Buff Orpington (thought are several rated the same size) is the Jersy Giant. 
Eggs from chickens raised on the ground verses in cages have a much more richer taste.  Fertilzed eggs taste even better--Let's hear it for the Rooster.
My barnyard flock are a cross of Aruacana, Buff Orpington, Leghorns, and Light Brahma.  I get brown, pink, green, and tan colored eggs but no white 1s. I'm trying to develop a chicken that is self-brooding, hardy, and versitile.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:56 pm »
buff orpingtons are considered a heavy breed along with rhode island reds, jersey giants, and the other brown egg layers are. i've had most all of those and they are pretty much interchangeable as far as i'm concerned except for their appearance...so if you are going for one of these then get what looks nice to you.
we've had leghorns and they might be well suited for your climate and they lay nice big white eggs. they did not winter well here but you don't have that situation where you are brendhan.
i can't tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs in the way they taste, but there is a big difference between factory eggs and home eggs, especially in the freshness.

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:01:20 pm »
Love the eggs from free ranging chickens...... Never could stand those flighty old Leghorn chickens, give me a nice flock of Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks, These are two great dual purpose birds. If your looking for a real egg laying machine get yourself some Muscovy ducks......
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:25 pm »
The Orpingtons are great, we love them and have a large flock. They are great layers and setters and make good mamas-people tend to prefer the brown eggs also if you are interested in selling but there is no nutritional diff between white and brown eggs.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:44:16 pm »
Yes absolutely.  My wife and I are bringing up some Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks now.  I love free range chickens that lay brown eggs.  Hopefully they will start laying in February.  Just a side note: About 14 hours of light is optimal for laying hens in the winter.   

David

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:39:53 am »
understudy.....i had this picture of you with your truck.  back end with crates of chickens, feathers flying...as you rednecked your way down the road.  maybe a pig in with the crates?
dog drooling out the window.  gun rack in the back window.  you with your ball cap and snap down shirt.

ah....40.  great age.  it's the age where you finally decide you don't care what others think, and you will let your true self out!! :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:41 pm »
understudy.....i had this picture of you with your truck.  back end with crates of chickens, feathers flying...as you rednecked your way down the road.  maybe a pig in with the crates?
dog drooling out the window.  gun rack in the back window.  you with your ball cap and snap down shirt.

ah....40.  great age.  it's the age where you finally decide you don't care what others think, and you will let your true self out!! :evil:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Run Away!

No it's not quite that bad.........really.....God I hope not.
No gun rack. No baseball cap. No snap down shirt.

No pigs and you really shouldn't talk about my mother in law like that. ;)
The dog doesn't drool, thank goodness.

The chicken cages image in the back is still a bit far off.

I think the darwin fish and the FSM(Flying Spaghetti Monster) emblems on the back are a nice touch.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 09:29:39 pm »
Oooh, I've got the Evolve Fish, but where'd you get His Noodliness' emblem?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:41:36 pm »
Oooh, I've got the Evolve Fish, but where'd you get His Noodliness' emblem?

Ramen!
http://www.venganza.org/fsm-store/

Scroll down to the car emblems. Click on the box a new page opens. Go to the second page lower right hand corner.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 06:18:47 am »
Oh, thank you, Brendhan, I've got to have one!  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 11:50:06 am »
My husband wants to start a church called "the Flying Spaghetti Monster" :) ;) :).  Where on earth did that come from.  Have a wonderful and great day in this great ol' world.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:07:32 pm »
Cindi,

For Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster,
You need to start here.
http://www.venganza.org/

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 05:02:44 pm »
To get back on the track of chickens:

I'm toying with the idea of creating a new breed of chicken for the hobby farmer/homsteader like me.

3 things that it must include to be attractive:
1. Large size.
2. Dual purpose--egg & meat.
3. Novelity eggs.

So take a Jersey Giant, Dark Cornish, and Ameracuana and cross them to get a 10-12 lb large breasted chicken that lays colored eggs.  This is a roasting chicken as big as a small turkey.

What do you guys think?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything