Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long to wait for queen cups on a test frame of eggs?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Verbify

• New Bee
How long to wait for queen cups on a test frame of eggs?
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:03:28 pm »
Fearing a hive is queenless, we stuck in a test frame of eggs from another hive. How long is reasonable to wait for them to build a queen cell? This will decide if we need to buy a new mated queen or not. It's only been about 36 hours and nothing so far.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: How long to wait for queen cups on a test frame of eggs?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »
If they were all eggs, you'll have to wait for them to hatch (3 days), then the bees will select the proper larvae for a queen.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:47:33 am »
> How long is reasonable to wait for them to build a queen cell?

24 hours.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:13:54 am »
MB is correct, but I would give them 3 days if the question was, "How long before a new beek should be able to find any queen cell that has been started". :wink:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:12 pm »
MB is correct, but I would give them 3 days if the question was, "How long before a new beek should be able to find any queen cell that has been started". :wink:

Thanks for this - its good to have the 'for people like me who have no idea what they're doing' answer along with the expert answer.

anything