Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted Rack  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: Slatted Rack
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
They are NOT the same.
The 'Western Super' was developed and sold originally by Western Bee Supply. Therefore refered to as the 'western super'.

It is 7 5/8" deep.

Thanks for correcting that. 
Make Mead!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 10:16:04 pm »
>The 'Western Super' was developed and sold originally by Western Bee Supply. Therefore refered to as the 'western super'.

That's what I used to think but a lot of people insist it is a medium.  The term is not in common usage in my part of the country so I can't say what everyone means by it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 05:21:02 am »
Back in the 50s and 60s in New England.
'Medium Super' 'illinois super' are the some Dadant bee supply  6 5/8"
'Western Super' is by Western Bee Supply  7 5/8"
In the past 30 years or so you do not hear this  terms use in this part of the country.
NOW
Mediums Western  Illinois all the some 6 5/8"

Must bee getting OLD  :shock: :roll: :shock:
Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:49:36 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:03 pm »
I've been following this thread. i raised this topic with 3 of the most experienced beekeepers in the E.M.B.A. at our meeting this past Wednesday. all three have tried them & all three no longer use them but acknowledged the advantages mentioned in the posts under this topic. 1 of them mentioned that on the earliest racks he had that the slats ran perpendicular to the frames & later made racks had the slats running parallel. looking at websites i see that brushy mountain racks have parallel slats while rossman offers them configured both ways. for those of you who use them do you have a preference?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:13 am »
>for those of you who use them do you have a preference?

The ones running with the frames were created with the theory that a slatted rack would work better with them.  I don't think it matters.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything