Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out hives  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
Trap out hives
« on: April 18, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
I need to do a few trapouts this spring and I was wondering the importance of having a frame of brood in there.  Could I use empty frames to catch the bees and then re-queen after they get kinda full?  Or will they not take to the nuc any other way?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Trap out hives
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:59:24 am »
You'll need a frame with a good amount of eggs, not just brood, and a frame of nectar wouldn't hurt, but it's the frame with eggs and younger larva that will hold the bees into the box. Without them, they won't be staying as well and will try instead to figure out the funnel and cluster around it, I would think.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:04:57 am »
Think of it like this, its like putting a bunch of empty baby carriages out on your street. No one's coming out to those carriages, until you add the babies & then they ain't leaving those lil babies alone.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:44:23 pm »
Good to go thanks....
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...