Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transfer small colony to hive?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Transfer small colony to hive?
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:24:03 am »
Hi everyone,

Got a call to rescue a small swarm today but the swarm has been clustered in the tree long enough to build 5 combs about the size of a bread and butter plate each. I've cut the branch off and it's currently sitting in the middle of an 8 frame box with 2 frames either side of it. How should I proceed from here to get the girls onto frames? Do I just sacrifice the small amount of brood and stores to date by shaking them onto the frames and treat it as a swarm? Or do I try and save the combs somehow?

Thanks,
B

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Transfer small colony to hive?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:34:03 am »
Hi, get 5 frames that have no foundation in them. Cut the combs from the branch and tie them into the frames with twine or rubber band them in. Then drop them into the box against the morning warm side, and fill in the rest of the space with frames. Best of luck on the new hive!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:40:54 am »
Thanks Ray, just what I wanted to hear, I didn't want to discard the comb if I didn't have to.
Regards,
B

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:36:57 pm »
There are many very interesting videos on Youtube by forum members such as Hardwood, Schawee and J.P. that show cutouts like the link below.  Search for "Bickering Beekeepers" and "Fatbeeman".   It is great stuff to watch and very educational.

Have fun!

N.S.B. water meter bees 2.wmv

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »
Thanks Sundog, I'll check those out.

anything