Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems posting mail  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Problems posting mail
« on: April 12, 2005, 07:59:53 am »
The forum categories keep changing and disappearing, and I no longer know where the appropriate place to post this message might be (I can't post questions in the Administrator or moderator sections).

When I try to send a private message to a forum member, why does it often take a day or two for the message to leave my outbox?  Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to the length of time it takes to be sent.  Can I speed it up?  Is there anything I'm doing wrong, or is this just an undocumented feature of the forum software?

-- Kris

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Problems posting mail
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:16:27 am »
If I am correct your outbox is just a section that shows you what you have recently sent. I have a ton of stuff in my outbox but all my letters get sent when I hit the send button. bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Problems posting mail
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:29:40 am »
Hi Kris:

Sorry to here you have such problems. I have changed the forum layout, but not too recently (about 1 to 2 weeks ago) not to hinder "where" you can post, but to help "Clarify" where to post - but NOTHING should change on a day to day basis on your screen.

The mail issue is a bit confusing to - my sent box is the important one - if the mail you sent is IN there, then surely it has been sent. I'm not totally clear on the OUTBOX, but I think it may have to do with the time the receiver actually logs on to receive the mail, or what else it may do, I'm not clear.

I have not had anyone else complain about the delivery or forums changing issues though - honestly. I'm noting it though and we well see if other problems have occured. Very true, as EACH modification is done in the software, another glitch can be found: we see that in the posts about the software often, I'll check and see if this is a common problems at the software site.

About the mods and admin forums - they are READ ONLY and not meant for feedback. Any feedback to either the Admin or Mods whould be sent directly to moderator or admin via Private Message.

The reason for that is it is for POSTING purposes ONLY - to open it up for feedback causes activity BEYOND posting messages.

Let me know if things get any better or worse, I'll check the software site and see if others have the same troubles. Goodluck and I truly hope it all works out fine.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Problems posting mail
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:53:12 am »
The PM stays in the Outbox until the receiver opens his/her inbox.  It is then moved to your sent box. This means as long as as the PM stays in the outbox, you can edit your PM or even delete it before the receiver receives it.  The PM will stay in the outbox even if the receiver has logged in.  He/she has to open the inbox in order to change location from outbox to sentbox.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Problems posting mail
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:56:37 am »
Quote from: beemaster
I'm not totally clear on the OUTBOX, but I think it may have to do with the time the receiver actually logs on to receive the mail, or what else it may do, I'm not clear.

That is true,  a PM will stay in your OUTBOX until the reciever opens it in their inbox.  It is an easy way to see if it has been read yet.   I still have about 25 in my outbox from my share of the "Get Well cards for John" drive.  Assuming others had similar results, thats 100 or so members that have registered and no longer come back.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Problems posting mail
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:00:57 am »
Quote from: Robo
I still have about 25 in my outbox from my share of the "Get Well cards for John" drive.  Assuming others had similar results, thats 100 or so members that have registered and no longer come back.

I also had a PM in the outbox addressed to someone who was qutie active here.  I don't think all members think of the possibility of getting a PM, and hence do not check the inbox status on the top of the page. So it is not nescessarily all of the 25 that not responded that haven't logged in after you sent it. Could be some never have spotted the "you have 1 new message" on top.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Problems posting mail
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:28:45 am »
That is true.  I just assumed "pop up window with new Private Message" is a default setting.  If not,  it should be.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Problems posting mail
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 09:39:28 am »
That is true.  I just assumed "pop up window with new Private Message" is a default setting.  If not,  it should be.

Some of us use a pop-up blocker with quite restrictive settings :-)  Unless people like me remember to allow all popups for beemaster.com, we won't see them even if our profile is configured to do so.  And by the way, the pop-up is dependant on the theme in use.  Not sure if the default theme uses pop-ups.  Maybe some of you without the "Popups must die!" plugin installed on firefox can answer that :-)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Problems posting mail
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 10:13:53 am »
Ok, OK  :lol:

Maybe the "notify me of new private messages" should be default then.

I know, I know,  some people will have it fall into the spam filter of their e-mail account. :wink:

I'm sure there are some cases of people not realizing they have a PM, but I still believe the majority of the members that I have sitting in my outbox have never come back.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Problems posting mail
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 10:24:29 am »

I'm sure there are some cases of people not realizing they have a PM, but I still believe the majority of the members that I have sitting in my outbox have never come back.

Yes, you are right, guess most of them are gone.  

I know, I know, some people will have it fall into the spam filter of their e-mail account.

Good point!!  I didn't think of that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just in a detailed focused discussion mood today  :roll:  All the discussion of small details in my thesis work which I write on now has affected my other writing as well I suppose  :oops:  Not good for me!  Hey, you guys with white coats, stop grabbing me!!!  LOL

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Problems posting mail
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 11:02:53 am »
I use firefox. Don't have any pop-ups of any kind.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Problems posting mail
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 04:29:10 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up - I thought the sent/outbox was something like that. I don't think (or hope not) any pop-up mail or banners, etc are somehow making there way through, maybe I misread what I saw???

About a hundred members that JUST aren't around, I think those numbers mimmick most forums, especially with the numbers of people who never post at all - many of those must by the same who join, hang for a bit and never come back.

That is why having GOALS to see 1000 members is neat to follow, it really doen't reflect anything in the real work. I DO have the ability to AUTO-DETE members who are NOT posting after X-number of months of inactivity - but I 'd rather choose not too do that, only because we see JASTHOMAS back after a long time away (mind you his account somehow got lost in the member count - but he is back again) I'm sure that can happen.

Note: Finsky is back too AFTER his writing me NEARLY two weeks ago and his mail getting lost in my barrage of email spam and junk. Finally I found his email, deciphered the meaning to read his meaning and reset the password for him.

Nope: I hate to lose members, it doesn't hurt to exagerate the high membership numbers, eventually those folks MAY come back - and I hate seeing people thinking we booted them for inactivity.

I hope Kris gets all the bugs out - the only one that bothers me is the FORUMS CHANGING - but if Kris is talking a week or more ago, it was ME trying to improve the simplicity of the forums - which I think are better than they were???
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything