Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help  (Read 2066 times)

Offline javah

• New Bee
Help
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »
 I checked on my bees today and they built comb and laid eggs between my super and medium. All the bees look to be drones. Why did they do this and what can I do to prevent it in the future.   O this is my first year for bees so take it easy on me.

Thanks for any help

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:11 pm »
Sounds like you have a missing/failing queen and laying workers. The hive won't last long at this point.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline javah

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »
I did see two queen cells that were open.  The bottom brood box is almost full of brood so I definitely have a queen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:47 pm »
depends on what kind of brood it is.  if it's all drone brood, you may not/probably don't have a queen.  if it's worker brood, you are probably ok.  drone brood in burr comb is pretty common.  drone brood when they are making a queen is common. 

you are using foundation?  they probably made burr comb for drone brood because they could make it the size they wanted.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »
I vote for spring drone build up.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »
I think you are giving us a poor description.
Is all your brood drone brood, or just what is in the burr comb? Are all bees in the hives drones, or do you mean the larva is drone?
A medium is a super, so give a better description of the boxes.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:43:09 am »
They like to build drone comb on bottom of frames. 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:09:12 am »
I would do nothing about it at all.   It's normal.  Look for Varroa when you break them open by prying each frame down before lifting off the box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything