Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am Dave from Ohio  (Read 2093 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
I am Dave from Ohio
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:34 am »
Hello everyone.  I don't have bees yet, but 2 packages were ordered in Jan.  I have been waiting since last July. 

I got hooked after not seeing honey bees in my yard.  So, I went to the library and got "beekeeping for dummies".  It seemed like something I could do.   

I don't really care about the honey or making money, I just want to help a couple hives stay alive and pollinate whatever they want. 

The side product of this is my 4 year old daughter may be hooked also.  She already wants her own hive!

I have a feeling that I will be on this forum a lot.  Thank God for the internet.  I doubt I would have ever thought of having bees without it.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: I am Dave from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:47 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great online forum for learning about beekeeping, but nothing beats having a few nearby mentors who can go thru a hive with you. I want to encourage you to get connected with a local beekeeping group:
http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/Regional%20%26%20County%20Clubs/countyclubs.html

Where in Ohio are you? There's a terrific bee meeting this Saturday in Wooster that I had hoped to go to but can't because of a conflict:
http://www.honeybeelab.com/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:44:10 am »
Dave, oh that is wonderful that your Daughter is also interested.  You will be surprised at what tiny hands can do to help things out.  (They are the best go joes for getting stuff for ya, they can run fast when you need that speed, not like us (well me) fodgers, that take their time running, hee, hee).  Kids are the best and most wonderful thing in the world.  They will do anything to make the adult happy, and yes, they are our little helpers and always to happy to help, especially when they are doing something that the love to do.  Your child will love the bees, she will inspire you to become a wonderful and great beekeeper.  Yeah!!!  Have a wonderful, beautiful day in this great world we share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »
Welcome Dave,
It is a great hobby. I picked up free literature at a farm show and a couple catalogs from suppliers. It peaked my interest. I met John on this site right after I got my bees and have made many friends since through the forum and ventrilo voice chat. We are like a big family here!!
Hope you have a great time learning bees with your daughter!! they young skulls can absorb so much knowledge she will see things you don't.                                    Ken           

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:08 pm »
what a great experience for your daughter!  it will be something you guys can do together and she'll remember it forever.  beware!  it's an addicting hobby!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.