Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First time bee sting  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
First time bee sting
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »
Well it finally happened today. I was out trying to figure out how to use the "macro" on the camera so I could post some better pictures like everyone else. I was sitting in the bee garden trying to get a good close up of bees. I felt a hit in the back of the head and thought the bee had just flown into me. Well then another from the side and before I could move,WHAM right in the corner of the uper left eyelid. My guess is the bee did not just fly into me but he was headbutting me. Where does she get off, that is my garden too. Maybe it was not one of my bees  :roll: My eye is already starting to close up and its been 15 minutes. I was told to shread a potato and put the shreads on the sting. It helped a little but my gosh the pain. Im glad it was not one of the kids. I will get my revenge, the next inspection they will get more smoke  :evil:, just kidding of course.  This is the first reported sting since I have started the hives in the yard.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: First time bee sting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »
Sorry about the sting. Try a baking soda paste on it.

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »
Another old wives sting reliever is a tobacco poultice.  Crush a cigarette and wet it, if you have access to a cigarette, and then place that on the sting.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:42 pm »
Another funny thing is while runing to the house I could swear I heard thousands of bees chasing me. Im sure it was the one that stung me and maybe one more but it sounded like thousands. One more tip, make sure to open the door all the way before trying to go in  :shock:. This brings me to another question. How long can bees smell the alert sent from the sting?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »
meat tenderizer and a swig of benadryl.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:04 pm »
I find myself heading for the hives, thinking - ok this time I'm gonna find a worker with worn out wings and make her sting me!
...I can't do it. I can't deliberately kill a honeybee - what a wimp I am.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:41:17 pm »
  I would like to know what you are doing right?  I seem to get stung fairly often, but I do have one of my hives that is rather hot.  I requeened about a month ago and hopefully will be less stings in the future.

David

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:51:16 pm »
 I would like to know what you are doing right?  
David

Well I didnt do something right today. Usually I dont have ay problems watering, mowing, feeding dogs, or just sitting there watching them. I have watched the bees on the flowers many many times and not even had one run into me. When working them I always smoke them and use full protective clothing. I do have a hott hive but I like the traits in them so much I dont want to get rid of them. Michael Bush did tell me to off the old queen and let them raise a new one, meaning the new queen is quite often nicer. I havent done that yet because Im affraid they wont produce a new queen and Ill get stuck with a laying worker.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »
if there are eggs, they will make a new queen.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »

I did make a spit off of that very hive (swarm prevention) and that daughter seems to be fine. No more aggressive than normal. I'm glad I got rid of the evil stepmother though. That's one bee I didn't mind offing.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »
Nasty spot to get your first, but now that is one less thing you have to worry about.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:21:31 pm »
Hey Shawn......... not wishing to sound unsympathetic but you need to get used to the stings :-D  it will be the first of many

If it is troubling you get some ice on it until it becomes numb. An antihistamine also helps to reduce the sting and the swelling. The important thing is to get the sting out quickly

Mick

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:14 pm »
I got stung too above my left eye

Johnny

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:35 pm »
  I would like to know what you are doing right? [...]

David
I've only had them about 3 months. I'm sure I have some stings coming eventually. If I feel like I'm bothering them I ease away unless I have a frame in my hand. I have noticed that they are a little more defensive with the dogs who have been stung. (could be that a diminishing scent sticks with you for a good while?) I've been wearing gloves and veil until recently, did away with the gloves - a frame slipped - bad scene for the dog. The biggest thing has to be time - I can guarantee I'm not going to go without stings indefinitely.
I promise I'll tell everyone as soon as it happens.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »
I find myself heading for the hives, thinking - ok this time I'm gonna find a worker with worn out wings and make her sting me!
...I can't do it. I can't deliberately kill a honeybee - what a wimp I am.

Really.... I'm completely opposite.  I have no issues with deliberately killing a  honeybee, especially when I want to remove my bee suit and there are one or 2 that won't leave me alone.  Wait till they come close and SMASH!!!  Works every time.

What I would have a problem doing is deliberately getting a bee to sting me.... no thanks to that one!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:44:20 pm »
There's supposed to be an acquired tolerance to beestings, and I'd much rather do it under controlled conditions - one or two at a time - rather than mistakenly having a whole angry hive after me - and I don't know my tolerance to bee venom - handled wasp and hornet stings fine with no issue killing THEM.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:49:53 am »
If you react like I do, it's basically remove stinger fast, take benedryl, apply ice.  I think ice is the single most effective thing hands down.  Lowers swelling, pain every time.

Offline ITCHI

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 05:29:03 am »
I'm a big Ole, thick skinned fellow and bee stings do hurt but no swelling and some itching afterwards.
The thing I do find interesting is how bee stings seem to get me wired, kinda like a large cup of coffee.
Any one else get that kinda reaction?

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:44:54 am »
Are you taking Benadryl after a bee sting because that can have that affect on some people.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:53:50 am »
Well here are some pictures of teh bee sting. First one didnt look too bad. When I got up today my eye was completly swelled shut. Sorry for any spelling eros but I cant see that good  :-D
Sorry for loking like a mess. I usually keep my hair nice and cut and I have not shaved because its my day off. So yes I dod look alot better than the pictures.