Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB v. Wax Moth  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
SHB v. Wax Moth
« on: July 01, 2009, 01:01:53 am »
I took a box of frames off a laying worker hive many weeks ago.  There were many frames of drawn combs with some in honey and others in pollen.  None were in brood and most were empty.  IN a few weeks I happened to check the combs and saw some larvae.  These bugs ultimately drilled through many cells and the track can be easily seen. Are these most likely SHB or wax moths?  I should have taken pictures, but alas, I did not have the camera.   
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: SHB v. Wax Moth
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:03:32 am »
Wax moth.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:04 am »
Wax moth larvae don't have legs - SHB larvae have six tiny legs in the front of the larvae - three on each side, obviously....

:-DLinda T

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »
If you had just dry, cob-webby looking trails through the comb, it is wax moth.  Typically, you won't see them, just their tunnels tracking along the foundation.  SHB larvae look like maggots.  If there are a lot of them, they slime the comb.  It will be wet and disgusting.  If you are planning on putting it back on a hive soon, put the frames in the freezer to eliminate them.  If you store them, put them preferably in a hive box with some Para-Moth crystals on top.  Close up the box to eliminate air circulation.  The fumes are heavier than air and will permeate down over the frames and kill any larvae and keep others from infesting.  They will need to be aired out for a day or two before being put on a hive.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:00:43 pm »
Wax moth

anything